Speedometer connector on bravo one outdrive >

Speedometer connector on bravo one outdrive

Notices

Speedometer connector on bravo one outdrive

Old 12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer connector on bravo one outdrive

I have been having trouble with my speedometer not reading. I have cleaned out the pitot tube and when I blast water from my garden hose into the pitot tube, it sprays where the yellow connector attaches to the outdrive. If I hold the connector, the speedometer moves to about 20mph. The yellow connector was a little worn and did not seem like it was holding in place. I purchased a new yellow connector from mercruiser parts and connected it. I have not tested it yet (cold outside) but am wondering if an o-ring is suppose to be on the end of the yellow connector. The new one did not have one and neither did the old, but I read on another site, the o-ring was important. The end of the connector that sits inside the drive looks like an o ring would fit on it but the inside of the housing seems to big or bigger then the hole that the connector fits in. The new one fits tighter. Maybe it will work. I need my wife to watch the speedo when I use pressure on the pitot tube because I can not do both I also have blown it out from the speedometer connector to clear the line. Really curious about that o ring. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Speedometer connector on bravo one outdrive

Good evening,
Yes you are correct about the o-ring on the end of the yellow adapter. If your drive has never been apart, there should be a rubber bushing in between the 2 cases. If it has been apart before who ever did it should have put the old or a new bushing in.

John S.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Registered

Default Re: Speedometer connector on bravo one outdrive

So it should have an o-ring? I purchased the boat used and the outdrive was upgraded from an alpha to a bravo one and I have the receipts that the outdrive was rebuilt so I guess the bushing could be missing. When I insert the connector and twist it 1/4 turn, it fits snug but it certainly is not tight and I am sure water will leak with the amount of pressure that will occur when driving. I will check the mercruiser web site for pics of the lower unit. If it is missing, I will either use silicon to seal it or look into a gps speedo. I can remove the lower end but not sure I am up for that just for a speedo. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Speedometer connector on bravo one outdrive

Looks like I might be missing the bushing/seal (part #26-36556) but I can not really tell by trying to view down the hole. I used an o-ring on the very top of the connecter to act as a seal. This might work. If not, I can use some silicon also. I want to wait on the silicon as a last resort.