Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc 454 Reverse and Standard Rotation Question. >

Merc 454 Reverse and Standard Rotation Question.

Notices

Merc 454 Reverse and Standard Rotation Question.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 454 Reverse and Standard Rotation Question.

Ok Guru's, you educated me so well on part numbers, thanks by the way, that I thought I would up the ante.
On My twin 454 mercruiser 370's with borg warner transmissions and TRS drives, where does the reverse rotation occur? Is it in the drives, transmissions or engines? Is there anything special I should do when rebuilding the engines to compensate for the rotation?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Re: Merc 454 Reverse and Standard Rotation Question.

Originally Posted by spk1
Ok Guru's, you educated me so well on part numbers, thanks by the way, that I thought I would up the ante.
On My twin 454 mercruiser 370's with borg warner transmissions and TRS drives, where does the reverse rotation occur? Is it in the drives, transmissions or engines? Is there anything special I should do when rebuilding the engines to compensate for the rotation?

In the drive.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
In the drive.
Well, USUALLY in the drive, but not always. If you have one standard and one reverse rotation engine it will be obvious by looking under the hatch as they crank over. With opposite rotation TRS gearcases, one will have a small "RH" stamped in the end of the propshaft; the other will be marked "LH". If you have an oppostte rotation engine, then there are some considerable differences, including the cam and starter in the parts catagory. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 12-19-2005 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jpclear
Well, USUALLY in the drive, but not always. If you have one standard and one reverse rotation engine it will be obvious by looking under the hatch as they crank over. With opposite rotation TRS gearcases, one will have a small "RH" stamped in the end of the propshaft; the other will be marked "LH". If you have an oppostte rotation engine, then there are some considerable differences, including the cam and starter in the parts catagory. --- Jer
Ok, I checked the prop shafts, and sure enough, there is a LH and RH stamp on each. Does this mean I do not have to worry with the engines and just set them up as standard rotating engines?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Lunatic Fringe
Platinum Member

Borg Warner trans can not take full power in reverse. The trans has to be set up internally to run backwards on a counter rotating engine. The trans will be connected to the shift cable exactly as a standard rotation setup.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Registered

You got 2 LH motors,standard rotation. Both motors will take same parts.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marinetrans
You got 2 LH motors,standard rotation. Both motors will take same parts.
Yep, what he said. And no need to worry about the trannys cause they will both be std. rotation. If you really had opposite rotation engines, the gearoter housing on the B/W would have been indexed for that and you would NOT have been putting full forward power through the planetary gears. Just remember; when the time comes to rebuild the lower gearcases, they take lots or different parts. --- Jer

Last edited by jpclear; 12-20-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the valuable info, Maintaining the boat is much easier with you guys backing me up.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm quite sure you don't have a reverse rotation engine. I read in another post of yours about one of your motors was a Gen V and the other a Mark IV. The raw water pump on a Gen V is indexed differently and the in/out are not in the same location as the Mk IV. (I've dealt with this before)

Good luck,

Kurt
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

yes, to reinterate the opposing direction happens in the lower gears of the drive not the upper gears.

Quick Reply: Merc 454 Reverse and Standard Rotation Question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.