38' KV Scarab question

Notices

38' KV Scarab question

Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 PM
bn
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 38' KV Scarab question

Chuck - I live in Cicero, not far from the lake.

If you need some work done on the boat, call Greg Smith at Kolorcraft. He is the one that redid Steve Savari's 38KV. Greg knows these boats well.

That's a nice boat. I tried getting my brother to swap motors with me.

Good luck with it!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,
I had Greg winterized the boat for me,your brother said he knows the boat well.It is a real challenge backing the boat into his yard of the main street but if I need work done he will get the first call.
Chuck......
Old 12-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Sweet classic ride that will never go out of style.
Enjoy!
Old 12-24-2005, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I know which boat that is! I was really disapointed when that one was sold. That's the first one I called on when I started looking and saw the ad. You had just bought it. That's the nicest MV KV38 I have ever seen. Congrats!!!

Here is a pic of the one that I lost when the guy decided not to sell at the last minute before delivery.
Attached Thumbnails 38' KV Scarab question-1986-scarabkv.jpg   38' KV Scarab question-1324139_2.jpg   38' KV Scarab question-dcp02389.jpg  

Old 12-24-2005, 07:49 AM
Registered

That looks just like the vice boat with the arch and raised hatch and the color(color is the same as mine).I'm sorry you missed out on that beautiful boat! I just happened to stumble across this scarab we sold our 24' Baja and had a 31' IMP we were going to buy but was told not to buy it by a person that new the boat.I'm glad we didn't.It was a big jump from a 24' to a 38' with twins but we are glad we did it, this is why I joined this site for all the help I can get with this new boat.We had only 4 boats that we would buy next Hustler,Thunder boat,IMP,or a Scarab and we found this 38' scarab and we LOVE IT! We are in our 40's and this is going to be our last boat I think we will buy? It really is a classic and a head turner thats for sure! Thank You Kevin for selling me the boat,and Brian I think I'll keep the motors even though they really suck the gas (I got to keep OPEC in business) LOL.
Chuck.............
Old 12-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was and most likely still is a nice boat, but it had been neglected and needed some cosmetic, and upholstery work. It sea trialed ok but was not as fast as yours by a long shot. It was also a premium price, yours was cheaper, and I'm sure far better all around, but this one had potential.

The biggest thing noted in my survey which you might want to watch for is moisture in the foam which surrounds and cushions the fuel tank which can corrode the aluminum tank, in my case the owner had drilled holes in the aft portion of the cockpit sole to drain accumulated water and it drained around the fuel tank. I was going to have to pull the cockpit deck, and the fuel tank to repair. The water was also getting in around the cockpit deck seam.

I purchased a Stinger 390 following the Scarab about a month later (actually it is the first season Miami Vice boat) I spent the summer having engines built for it, which from late September on ran for 29 hours. Port engine broke a rod with a lousy 29 hours after "rebuild" Looking into repowering again after a short fall season of running it. My wife likes it more than the KV because of the larger cockpit, sun deck, swim platform, and most of all... larger cabin. I'll always love that KV though, but once I get this one going, I'm sure I will be happy with it.

Good luck with yours, and try not to worry about the gas too much, all part of the fun. It takes lots of it to get a nearly 40 foot deep vee hull boat that weighs 10,000 lbs plus to move over 74 mph. Be glad yours run well enough to "spit gas cans out the exhaust" (I love that annalogy!) Your engines look great and seem perfect for that boat. I wish they were in mine....

Best of luck
Attached Thumbnails 38' KV Scarab question-dcp03132.jpg   38' KV Scarab question-dcp03130.jpg  
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Registered

Nice Stinger! that name brings back memories my first boat was a 222 Stinger center stearing 3 bolsters across(loved it!) handled great in rough water.I kept on getting bigger with the boats up to this boat.They say biggher is better! and it is.I might be forced to sell it? personal problems.The wife said no but might not have a choice only time will tell hate too loose it. The boat is in prestine(Above Average) shape and fair market value was "$62,540.00" an that I think is a steal for the condition and performance of the boat? if anyone is interested it might go up for sale? if it dose I'll look to this site first if any one is interested(remember it Might be sold??) LMK Chuck...........................
Old 12-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned this boat back in the 90s

we were running the Pier 33 Poker run in this shot

I loved my scarab was a great boat

By the way KV does not alwys mean Kevlar
the KV means Kama Version (Betty Cooks Race boat scarab)
Attached Thumbnails 38' KV Scarab question-38scar%7E1-share-size.jpg   38' KV Scarab question-scarab-pier-33-poker-run.jpg  
Old 12-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Wellcraft in Sarasota and talk to someone in Customer Service.
Have your 12 digit hull number handy and they will tell you if that boat is laid-up in Kevlar or not.

Pretty boat, by the way. Enjoy it!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Registered

you wouldn't happen to have the phone number in florida for wellcraft so I can find out if it is Kevlar? the boat only weigh's 9,100lbs is that lite for fiberglass?
Thank You Chuck

Quick Reply: 38' KV Scarab question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.