Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine? >

what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Notices

what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Re: what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Running the water temp past 160 you will lose actually lose horsepower. Dean Gellner
Dean, would you please elaborate on that a bit for us? I assume you found this out from dyno testing I take it? Thanks for your input. Mark
Old 01-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dean, would you please elaborate on that a bit for us? I assume you found this out from dyno testing I take it? Thanks for your input.
ditto
Old 01-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Mark,
Depending on what compression ratio the engine is the loss of horsepower will vary. We have played around with this alot on the dyno in many different types of engines. On A 9.5:1 "B" class race marine engine from 140 to 160 we lost 4-6 horsepower on average without changing anything. In a pleasure boat application - will you tell the difference? Most likely not. But for those who are always looking for a little bit more, which is what we are after, thats 8-12 HP between 2 engines. Every little bit adds up. When I ran IHRA Pro Stock we would run the water temp at 100-110 degrees leaving the starting line. The engines are very high compression and the higher water temp would create higher combustion chamber temps thus losing HP.

Dean
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by ratman
was wondering what water temps you guys with larger hi po n/a engines are running for water temp, thx ratman
We also run our engines 110- 130 also it keeps the cylinder temps down and we make more power also. We also use a oil thermostat on all our engines to keep the oil temp above 190 and the condensation out. Tyler
Old 01-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TylerCrockett
We also run our engines 110- 130 also it keeps the cylinder temps down and we make more power also. We also use a oil thermostat on all our engines to keep the oil temp above 190 and the condensation out. Tyler
What ever Tyler says, I'm a following.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Registered

Okay Dean and Tyler---I appreciate the input/info and it was a very good question that was asked by Ratman. I was asking because I am running a 160* water thermostat in my naturally aspirated 9.5 comp ratio engines, but they actually run around something like 170*-180* which I thought might be a little too warm,---but I didn't really know and was thinking of replacing them with something like a 140* or lower thermostat instead. Heck, I don't even know what the next lower temp thermostat is even made or available below a 140* thermostat! (???) Anyway, I was just curious about your findings and I am more concerned about the heat or running with too high of water temps than HP loss, but then it sounds as if I will be gaining vs losing HP----but like you said Dean, not enough to really make a difference in the speed of my boat.

Just as a side note my engines also have some Keith Eickert HP-6 size "thermofilters" (oil thermostats) that have a 212* oil thermostat in them and seem to work very well with the set-up I have.

Anyway, thanks again for your input (Dean and Tyler)---it was very helpful.

Last edited by KAAMA; 01-08-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Banned

The 212 thermostats are just fine. Go to 140 water stats and it should drop your running temp down to about 150-160 degrees. The other question I have for you is what type of water picks/drives are on the boat? and what water pressure do you have at WOT? Thanks,

Dean
Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run cross overs with no thermostat. 540 CID with 9.75 to 1 CR. Water temp is consistently at 100 - 130. Hard runs will get it up to 150 - 160. My concern is oil temp. At cruise it gets to about 150 - 170. Takes a long hard run (5 min at 4500+ RPM) to get the temp over 210 (not much fun for passengers if it's rough). Should I be running oil thermostats? Is the only purpose of getting oil hot to cook off condensation? I've mentioned oil thermostats to my builder before and he seems a little hesitant (says they are not needed).

Water pickups are through hull. Water PSI is 2-4 at idle, 10-12 at cruise and 18-20 at speed. Coolers are bell housing type and seem to do a great job.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
The other question I have for you is what type of water picks/drives are on the boat? and what water pressure do you have at WOT? Thanks, Dean
Dean, I am using cam driven water pumps. I like them because they help dress up the engines a little nicer and it's one less belt/pulley. Some guys don't like them because they don't pump as much water as a conventional braket mounted water pump, but they seem to be working well for me. Water comes in through a transom mounted pick-up, goes through a sea strainer, then through the oil cooler, and then into the engine. The pressures I see at WOT are about 18 pounds of pressure. At cruise it's about 12-14 lbs and at idle it is about 7 lbs.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Originally Posted by waterbum
I run cross overs with no thermostat. 540 CID with 9.75 to 1 CR. Water temp is consistently at 100 - 130. Hard runs will get it up to 150 - 160. My concern is oil temp. At cruise it gets to about 150 - 170. Takes a long hard run (5 min at 4500+ RPM) to get the temp over 210 (not much fun for passengers if it's rough). Should I be running oil thermostats? Is the only purpose of getting oil hot to cook off condensation? I've mentioned oil thermostats to my builder before and he seems a little hesitant (says they are not needed).

Water pickups are through hull. Water PSI is 2-4 at idle, 10-12 at cruise and 18-20 at speed. Coolers are bell housing type and seem to do a great job.

Thanks,
Doug
All you are doing with the Oil Stat is bypassing the oil cooler to bring the oil temp up quicker when the oil temp reaches your stat setting then the oil passes thru your oil cooler. The cooler your engine water temp is the more efficient your cooler will cool the oil. You said when you run for a while your oil heats up drop the water temp 20-30 degrees and see how long you can go if it still is not long enough for you go to a bigger cooler. I tested and ran a lot of different water pressure's and found 22-25 # at WOT is best for cooling. When I ran 12-15 the valve jobs in the heads did not last as long.

Quick Reply: what is the ideal water temp for a hi po n/a engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.