Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercury parts made by Seirra? >

Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Notices

Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Old 01-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mercury parts made by Seirra?

donzi33,

I agree with you 100%...there usually is very little price differance if any and with after market you really dont know what you are getting...is it made by the same people to the same specs and quality standards or made in china as cheap as possible
Old 01-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Re: Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Originally Posted by GOODT
donzi33,

I agree with you 100%...there usually is very little price differance if any and with after market you really dont know what you are getting...is it made by the same people to the same specs and quality standards or made in china as cheap as possible
Dont get me wrong I'm not wealthy , but I feel if you can afford the boat you have, you could afford to use the right parts. And I strongly feel that if you can't afford your boat you definitely cant afford not to use the right parts! Obviously if your are in a pinch or something is NLA you have to use common sense. With what most people have spent here on their boats & fuel alone why skimp?? I say unless the boat is a piece of $@#% use OEM & leave the Aftmkt stuff for the old Bayliner.. J
Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DONZI33
but I feel if you can afford the boat you have, you could afford to use the right parts.
I agree. Also knowing you have the right parts built to Mercs specs. Just thought I would try the Serria route this time since it was only fiber filled/ plastic elbows, so I could in fact compare the 2 side by side. Like I previously stated, they are different.

Sticking with the OE stuff. Never been let down yet.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on the actual part I need and the avavlability of it. I recently bought a new Mallory alternator for my boat. It wasn't cheap either but it's a high quality part, not a reman. Teleflex makes high quality cables and controls. I would have no problem ordering a Sierra cable made by Teleflex. It's probably the same part Merc will sell you. I buy AC Delco plugs, not Mercs but I'm sure they are the same plug Merc sells, only difference is that I can order them from Napa instead of going to a Merc dealer. I'm not sold on the Merc filters and oil either. I'm sure they are high quality but I choose to use the Mobil 1 stuff. I do however use the Merc drive oil. Impellers? I've used Merc and Sierra and never had either fail on me but I change it every year as part of my maintenance.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

We need the Chinese to start manufacturing impellers. The OEM Sierra and Merc parts are through the roof!.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Commercial Member

Red face Re: Mercury parts made by Seirra?

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I agree. Also knowing you have the right parts built to Mercs specs. Just thought I would try the Serria route this time since it was only fiber filled/ plastic elbows, so I could in fact compare the 2 side by side. Like I previously stated, they are different.

Sticking with the OE stuff. Never been let down yet.

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like an A hole. I was just overzealously stating my opinon/feelings and personal experiences.. I hope I didnt offend you, I wasn't trying to belittle anyone by my comment.. Like I said we do use Sierra's stuff on occasion when we cant get the oem stuff.. We haven't had any problems per say with it either. It's just as a Marine faciluty it' easier to normally use the oem stuff. 95% of the time it's less hassle, faster & safer for us..

Again, I didn't mean anything by it personally. I was just on my soap box..LOL.. Jamie
Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NO NO NO, I was agreeing with you. I always buy the OE labeled parts as a rule. This was for a curiosity thing to verify the parts guys statement.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
NO NO NO, I was agreeing with you. I always buy the OE labeled parts as a rule. This was for a curiosity thing to verify the parts guys statement.
Oh.. Ok then.... I still didn't want to come off rude.. J
Old 01-10-2006, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I remember a post last year. Someone had a problem...long story short it was the sierra dist cap.
I had a problem with thier risers. I rebuilt an engine & wanted to do the right thing & have everything new. I had a milkshake problem that drove me nuts for over 3 weeks. Turned out to be reversion with the design of the riser. I switched to a oem merc riser & problem was solved. It was pretty evident the design between sierra/merc made a huge differance.