Transom repair >

Transom repair

Notices

Transom repair

Old 01-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transom repair

Today I disassembled my bravo one transoms and found a mess.Not only was the pivot pin worn to nothing but the upper bushing seems to have some corrosion around it.The aluminum has deteriorated and the bushing is exposed about a quarter of and inch.Can this hole be welded shut and re machined to the proper size for a new bushing?I tried call JR machine in Ohio all day but no one answers the phone and my e mail was returned do to a full mail box.Are they still in business?Does any one know any better way to fix this and some one who can do it?

Thanks
Up to my eyeballs in parts,Anthony
Old 01-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transom repair

by the time its all done and said its easier and quicker just to get a new transcom assy and then you dont have to worry if its going to hold or is this the one time ever that the weld cracks and you have to do it all over again, you should be able to find a used transom assy for 500 - 1000 and about a day or two to install if you have the right tools
Old 01-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
by the time its all done and said its easier and quicker just to get a new transcom assy and then you dont have to worry if its going to hold or is this the one time ever that the weld cracks and you have to do it all over again, you should be able to find a used transom assy for 500 - 1000 and about a day or two to install if you have the right tools
I have the transoms off the boat now.I would love to buy used or rebuilt ones but I'm on a budget.The bushing is 3/4 of the way into the aluminum but I would just like to see it fully inserted.I am also installing stainless pivot pin and would not like to have any problems in the future.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hopefully you will get thru to Ron Bender, then you wil have an idea of which is best route to go as far as $$$$ wise.

Are you stating that the side hinge pins are worn? I think there is a nylon bushing there in the housing.

I have heard Ron say he welds up and remachines for the new upper pivot pins.

Post some pictures.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-09-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Hopefully you will get thru to Ron Bender, then you wil have an idea of which is best route to go as far as $$$$ wise.

Are you stating that the side hinge pins are worn? I think there is a nylon bushing there in the housing.

I have heard Ron say he welds up and remachines for the new upper pivot pins.

Post some pictures.
No, the side pins are fine.Its the bushing at the top of the pivot pin,into the housing.The housing has the corosion happing.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Registered

I relize that you are on a budget but with out seeing it its tough to say personaly I would find a good used one, labor would end up about the same, you have agreat boat y take short cuts when the cost factor is about the same if someone up there wont help you out dollar wise let me know im not that far from you MD eastern shore, slow time of year, good time to help out a fellow oso member, and im used to people bringing me there drives ect in boxes

Last edited by GOODT; 01-09-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
I relize that you are on a budget but with out seeing it its tough to say personaly I would find a good used one, labor would end up about the same, you have agreat boat y take short cuts when the cost factor is about the same if someone up there wont help you out dollar wise let me know im not that far from you MD eastern shore, slow time of year, good time to help out a fellow oso member, and im used to people bringing me there drives ect in boxes
I will post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you buy a new "Transome assembly" Does it include everything you need inside and out ? Besides the drive of course ....

Here are some "rebuilt" 1395.00

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8261.html
Old 01-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Registered

Yea, I saw that ad,but with the trunk load of money going into the boat in the last 3 months my wife is starting to raise her eyebrow at me.That can't be good.I'm going to see about fixing what I have ,but if I can't I will be ordering two of those I think.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
If you buy a new "Transome assembly" Does it include everything you need inside and out ? Besides the drive of course ....

Here are some "rebuilt" 1395.00

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8261.html
Thats a good price, when I was shopping last summer for a rebuilt unit the best price I found was 1800 from Derebery. Can't complain though the unit looked as if was brand new...

Quick Reply: Transom repair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.