Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech, Mech, Apprentice

just wondering who here is what....

TECH...10+ certs ect building, repairing diag

mech... under 10 yrs

appr...under 5 yrs

and certs only dont count

know many guys been to all the schools and if you put a drive in front of them just look at it and say ok and look some more
Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: Tech, Mech, Apprentice

Cool question. I've been working for my families Merc dealership/marine transmission repair facility since I was 14, now 32.Got certified in Mercruiser and Merc outboard in 1991.Went to ZF/Hurth school and Borg-warner certification school.Our main focus is transmission repair.Do tons of drive rebuilds too.Took it over in 2004,when my father passed away.Its more paper work now for me, but still get on the benches w/ rest of my guys.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

were just a bunch a goodOl boys tryN to learn how to type!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 AM
Registered

<<<<<< cant type or spell
Old 01-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter how many certificates or accreditations you have, you will STILL run into things out in the "trenches" that do not follow the normal patterns for accurate troubleshooting.
Nobody has all the answers, but the trick is to LISTEN to the symptoms and analyze what could be causing the problem. Sometimes screwy stuff will cause the most difficult to find problems.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
No matter how many certificates or accreditations you have, you will STILL run into things out in the "trenches" that do not follow the normal patterns for accurate troubleshooting.
Nobody has all the answers, but the trick is to LISTEN to the symptoms and analyze what could be causing the problem. Sometimes screwy stuff will cause the most difficult to find problems.
How correct you are. Almost everyday here new problems/situations arise, some simple to correct, some take some brain power.Makes it interesting.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Registered

i have no formal marine training. lots of formal education and formal AUTOMTIVE certifications and training and some 30 yrs of experience... and there is at least ONE thing that is certain...

the formal training only benefuts those individuals that are good mechanics before they got there. the bad mechanics just came out being bad mechanics still except that they had a couple weeks off from mis diagnosing, fixing things badly or not at all.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
i have no formal marine training. lots of formal education and formal AUTOMTIVE certifications and training and some 30 yrs of experience... and there is at least ONE thing that is certain...

the formal training only benefuts those individuals that are good mechanics before they got there. the bad mechanics just came out being bad mechanics still except that they had a couple weeks off from mis diagnosing, fixing things badly or not at all.
AMEN BRO! I'm not a "merc" tech but I'm a automotive transmission/rear end tech and I rebuild my own bravos (they are 1/20 th as complicated as a modern electronic shift front wheel drive transmission),Smitty
Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just a lawyer with 35 years experience breaking automotive and marine engines and other mechanical things....
Old 01-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered

Hmmm, my training is in designing drugs.
I just break a lot of stuff that I have to fix myself, because there are so few real marine mechanincs around LOTO.
Gary

Quick Reply: Tech, Mech, Apprentice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.