Aluminum vs cast iron heads >

Aluminum vs cast iron heads

Notices

Aluminum vs cast iron heads

Old 01-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum vs cast iron heads

I have two 540 ci BB, I beam rods, 7.5 comp, cast iron heads, econel exhaust valves ss intake, crane roller rocker arms 1.7, crane hydraulic roller cams, 671 BDS blowers

I have major damage on one of the pistons that will need to be honed out.

What are the benefits to going with alum heads and would you do the same to the other good engine??????

What other changes would you do....

Dyno at 800hp a piece

Any helpful advice will be appreciated...

Last edited by berman58; 01-10-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered

Default Re: Aluminum vs cast iron heads

If your looking for a good alum. head out of the box I Highly recommend the AFRs. If your looking to go bigger down the road & wanna do a lot of porting I suggest the Brodix. You will love having a set of alum heads, you will be able to tell a considerable difference. You mat also want to talk to an experienced BOAT motor builder, a good combo (heads, cam, rockers, intake, etc.etc.) is always better than just going BIG.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Registered

Thanks for the post
Its not me building the engines. It's an engine builder with a lot of experience. I'm not a mechanic but do want to know as much as possible. He's given me choices and want to make an educated decision. Also if someone has done this combonation before their opinion would be great. Really don't want more power just more reliability. If i could squeak more hp reliably and drop boost that would seem to make sense...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the process of rebuilding BOTH motors and bought the AFR heads with the following upgrades:

Hard anodized coating (for protection to the aluminum)
Inconel exhaust valves
CNC'd
Upgraded valve springs

Out if the box bolt on horsepower (dyno only right now)

I'm VERY impressed so far..
Dave
Old 01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Registered

thanks for the reply
Old 01-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

Just make sure your mechanic has a lot of experience w/ boat motors, cars & boats have two totally different power curves. How much boost are you making?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Registered

he is just a marine engine builder

thanks though
Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Registered

6 pounds of boost
Old 01-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

In January 2004 my engine builder rebuilt a couple of 540cid roots style supercharged engines that a customer brought to his shop straight from another builder. He didn't trust the engines and wanted Dave to dyno test them as they were (untouched) from the other shop. The engines had the GM/Chevy cast iron fully ported heads on them---they looked to be nicely ported, but a couple of the heads were cracked inbetween the seats on one of the engines. The engines made 840hp @5800rpm or so with 8lbs of boost with 38* of timing as they came from the other builder untouched.

Anyway, they replaced the stock GM cast iron heads with some Dart Pro-1 aluminum CNC ported heads and they made about 830hp with only 6lbs of boost with something like 30* of timing vs the previous 8 pounds at 38*. That's a BIG difference in reliability. I think it goes to show that a good aluminum head that is CNC ported will make the difference. Also, an aluminum head will give you a little more cusion in comp ratio. So, there are some very good benefits right there---hope that helps.

If you want to call my engine builder (Michigan) and ask him questions about it, the name of his business is called WESCO 616-622-2250 ask for Dave. I'm sure he would be able to explain it more accurately and in better detail than I did.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KAAMA
In January 2004 my engine builder rebuilt a couple of 540cid roots style supercharged engines that a customer brought to his shop straight from another builder. He didn't trust the engines and wanted Dave to dyno test them as they were (untouched) from the other shop. The engines had the GM/Chevy cast iron fully ported heads on them---they looked to be nicely ported, but a couple of the heads were cracked inbetween the seats on one of the engines. The engines made 840hp @5800rpm or so with 8lbs of boost with 38* of timing as they came from the other builder untouched.

Anyway, they replaced the stock GM cast iron heads with some Dart Pro-1 aluminum CNC ported heads and they made about 830hp with only 6lbs of boost with something like 30* of timing vs the previous 8 pounds at 38*. That's a BIG difference in reliability. I think it goes to show that a good aluminum head that is CNC ported will make the difference. Also, an aluminum head will give you a little more cusion in comp ratio. So, there are some very good benefits right there---hope that helps.

If you want to call my engine builder (Michigan) and ask him questions about it, the name of his business is called WESCO 616-622-2250 ask for Dave. I'm sure he would be able to explain it more accurately and in better detail than I did.

Thank you very much for posting

Quick Reply: Aluminum vs cast iron heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.