Anyone heard of Ohio Crankshaft? - I want to build a 540 >

Anyone heard of Ohio Crankshaft? - I want to build a 540

Notices

Anyone heard of Ohio Crankshaft? - I want to build a 540

Old 01-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of Ohio Crankshaft? - I want to build a 540

Has anyone heard of Ohio Crankshaft? I have been looking at their 540 shortblock package and want to know if they produce a decent product. They advertise an assembled short block with Merlin III block, 4340 4.25 crank, 4340 H beam rods and custom pistons (all of which are internally balanced) for $4199. The person I spoke to said they could install brass freeze plugs and bore the cylinders 0.001 larger for a marine application. They claim to produce their own cranks and rods. Has anyone used their parts?
Thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone heard of Ohio Crankshaft? - I want to build a 540

crankshafts are a good peice but heavy, we used a couple in big block chev., 1/4 stroke slowed the car down. But again good peice
Old 01-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking to build a reliable built 540, we can help. We custom tailor our engine packages for your needs. If you would like a qoute feel free to contact me at (216) 398-8500. Marine Performance is our speciality. Thanks,

Dean Gellner
Gellner Engineering Marine Power
Old 01-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for your replies. I have a further question as well. I would like to spend my money on the short block and be a little more resonable on the top end but still make about 600 H.P. In other words, where would I benefit most for the money - buying a new set of say Merlin heads (I currently have GM Rect Port) or using a Roller hydraulic cam instead of a standard hydraulic cam. Will the GM Rect port heads work well on a 540? Thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a pair of 577 na motors 14k for 1400hp they have a little over 20 hours on em i have blower motors coming and need to sell fast so i really lowered the price to move em. all the good stuff, crower, je, crane hyd roller, brodix, ready to drop in and go. there listed in the swap shop. ratman
Old 01-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

btw, ohio crank shaft sells a 555ci short block assm for reasonable money and they sell a lot of to the drag race guys, 4 3/8 stroke,but there a definitely better parts out there
Old 01-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Corbs,

Mine's got GM rect port heads with a little bowl blending. It was built mild for torque, so 5200-5400 RPM is about it and it makes somewhere in the 575 HP range as a guess. It was expected to make less, but it ended up being stronger than expected (good builder! ). Nothing wild about it. 600HP should be easy with a little more cam/RPM (mines got a Comp XM284HR, RPM Airgap intake and an 850). It's also got good internals, just in case. Lunati Pro, H beam rods, J&E's.....just need good A/M heads, a huffer and something other than a Searay to go under it.

Last edited by SeaRay Jim; 01-13-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Registered

Corbs

Call me we can help with what ever you are looking for using USA made reliable components.
Thanks Mike
Roccard Marine Engines
www.roccardmarineengines.com
[email protected]
570-956-2840
Old 01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

This motor will be going in my Checkmate 251 Convincor. Anyone running this power in a similar boat - what kind of speeds are you seeing? Also, I'm running a Bravo 1.5 ratio, can the drive handle 600 H.P. and what prop suggestions do you have?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
Registered

Stay away from Ohio crankshaft. Their "american" made products are finshed here, not 100% american made. Their customer service is poor at best. They have a very bad name in the drag racing world. Too bad I found that out after I purchased a 555 short. I can send pics of one of their engines that had 3 shake down passes in a drag car. They claimed abuse? Go figure. Too bad the rev limiter had a 6000 RPM chip in it. Ohio wouldnt do chit. Sent it to a where I had always used in the past, he called me upon dissassembly, then again on re balancing a internally balanced crank. The balance was so far off on the crank, he was surprised it lasted that long. The bearings looked like they had years of abuse.

This is my first post here, been browsing for a little while. I purchased this engine, this is not friend of a freind, or something I read on the web.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of Ohio Crankshaft? - I want to build a 540

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.