Notices

Dry Sump ?

Old 01-18-2006, 11:25 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dry Sump ?

Last winter I had a full roller 383 put together with a full Lunati Pro Mod setup for the bottom, the windage tray thing came up. I am an old mechanic but not real knowledgeable about the newer stuff, I went and dug into the net and spoke with boat racers, circle track guys and came up with two advantages for using a tray. Firstly to keep the oil away from the crank which helps a lot with foaming and a little added HP, so I called the rep at Milodon. He said even though I had the Pro Mod crank which slings the oil away from the rods toward the mains the tray still would be a very good item especially in a boat the way the oil jumps around, I had been thinking of a screen tray he said no good a screen may let the oil splash the crank so I went with their louvered tray. It seems odd to read here that they cost HP when everyone I have been in contact with all say more oil control and HP.

Phil
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here are a couple of pics of a set up that wont come loose and chew anything up and its conpact and clean we used to run this set up back when we were involved with the Mississippi river challenge years back.
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sump ?-hpim0443.jpg   Dry Sump ?-hpim0446.jpg  
Old 01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a good link on trays and a few other things.

http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/76818/
Old 01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the pans used on the engines i've installed / rigged, are/were all these types of pans mentioned above. looks like a trik set up mesa. all be it in certain applications the value does not justify the application. which was the original topic, I believe.
and with all the jarring and g-load put on things during offshore power boating ,the less bulk, less weight,the less things, break. for example a 36 gladiator i rigged has a set of 750 h.p single four's in it. wet sump. engines run about 30+k. i run this boat with the owner on poker run's and also just to cruz and run it sometimes. never a problem. not necessary.
on a larger vessel like a 45 maximus with say 1200 h.p b.b i would say there is less violence as far as inertia and such because of the size and weight of the boat. basicly physic's. more power, a more stable environment for the power, dry sump perfect app. insurance.
this is with all due respect to those who have posted, and meant purely as positive conversation.
which is also educational.

Last edited by monstaaa; 01-18-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Dry Sump ?

Originally Posted by stevesxm

there is no magic to this... off the shelf , high quality stuff and you have a system that works better than any other. you'll spend 4 grand on a stereo ... and put in a $ 38 dollar oil pump in a 10,000 motor....

hmmmmmmmmmm let me think about that.

I nominate that for quote of the year!!!! Amen
Old 01-20-2006, 06:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catagory5
I nominate that for quote of the year!!!! Amen

Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

monstaa,

I have to add that I appreciate your approach to this topic. You have explained your rationale without emotion. And while I can personally relate to the $38 oil pump vs. $3k in stereo equip., I think that it's important on this site to be able to articulate a differing opinion on a tech subject because people just don't know any better.
I personally seek out and look forward to experienced individuals "Hash out" the various tech subjects. Too often, someone will post a bold opinion with no more basis than a recited internet article which is irrisponsible, in my opinion.

So thanks to you all. (Yeah I ramble a bit...)
Old 01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Registered

t.y bryan
Old 01-27-2006, 06:25 AM
Registered

by the way heres the replacement bracket, for the one i posted earlier in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sump ?-24.jpg