Notices

Dry Sump ?

Old 01-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dry Sump ?

A dry Sump setup ? hows that werk and advantage ? .. Looks like to me external oil tank and cooler/filter ?
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sump ?-dry-sump.jpg  
Old 01-15-2006, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dry Sump ?

a dry sump system has advantages across the board and is the way to go in any application where lube system loads are high and g force loads are high.

the primary reason they were developed was to control the oil movement within the oil pan during cornering in race cars altho , i suppose the very first systems were aircraft. when the car corners ( or boat jumps or turns hard) at hi g , the oil is pushed away from the pickup and will often cause momentary starvation and subsequent failure. so......

a dry sump system takes the oil OUT of the pan , stores it in a seperate tank that is generally column shaped and well baffled internally to keep this from happening. the normal internal mechanical oil pump is done away with and an externally driven multi stage pump is installed...generally belt driven. one stage ( pressure stage) sucks oil from the tank, and puts it into the motor by virtue of an external line at desired pressure and volume as user specified during the selction process. the remaining stages ...as few as two and as many as eight,,, are called scavenge stages and the suck the oil back OUT of the motor from various points and return it to the tank. obviously there are filters and coolers installed along the way depending on the preferance of the builder.

there are no downsides to this except cost , which these days is cheap compared to the benefits.

the pumps are external and therefore serviceable as necessary.

oil pressure issues both volume and dependability become a thing of the past.

surge issues from jumps and turns are eliminated

power losses from windage in the pan are eliminated

a dry sump type oil pan is usually 4 to 6 inches shallower than the standard pan so the motors can be set lower in the car ( boat) for better cg

my opinion is that if the motor makes more than 400 hp and you have it out and apart, it is shortsighted not to drysump it.

the kits are off the shelf and the tanks are available from any reputable racing supplier.

as far as reliability and performance upgrades go, its buying 20 dollar bills for 2 bucks.

Last edited by stevesxm; 01-15-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dont over tighten the belt. unlike the typical solid shaft for a conventional oil pump, it will snap.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

It is very expensive to dry sump. The parts alone are in the thousands. I figure it added about $5000 to my last engine with machining, labor and parts. I would not even think about it on an engine under 1000hp unless you need to squeeze the last few hp out of race car.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks guys .... guess I'll hold off on my 454 mags .....
Old 01-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Ive heard a dry sump will give you some extra hp??.......yes? no?.......not that Im going to do it
Old 01-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Registered

dry sump is used to solve g force related oiling problems.... that is its reason for being.

there are advantages in power from the lack of windage in the pan but that's not the reason you do it. in fact it takes more power to run a drysump than the std mech pump.

could not disagree more strongly with two opinions above...first that suggests cost high and second suggesting only for high horsepower applications. neither correct

most dry sump kits are essentially plug and play. no machine work involved and costs for complete systems including pan are often under two grand... in any application... boat , car or aircraft, where the oil is subjected to hi g force and the engine runs the risk of momentary starvation ( where do you think all your oil goes when your boat comes out of the water at 2 g's and the motors go to the rev limiter ? ) dry sump is the answer.

in a boat application it should be considered a structural upgrade to the drive line... not a " motor" deal. the motor just has a different kind of pump and pan on it... all the plumbing and tanks are part of the hull infrastructure.

do it one time and never look back . your motors will love you for it.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Steve has pretty much covered it. As far as cost, I just priced a complete system less lines and fitting for a 500 CID blown Hemi for $2800 in a 3 stage system.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plus installation, and fabrication of lines, tank, etc,,,, . and then the belt breaks and theres 50k +++ out the window. inertia is a ba@l buster. and the more moving parts to break they will do just that.

heres a bracket were redsigning for a client because of a stress factor, in a dry sump application, and the need to relocate things because of the boats configuration.
it is defineately a trik setup and by design is un surpassed for longevity.
Attached Thumbnails Dry Sump ?-p1010007.jpg   Dry Sump ?-p1010013.jpg  
Old 01-16-2006, 04:46 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monstaaa
plus installation, and fabrication of lines, tank, etc,,,, . and then the belt breaks and theres 50k +++ out the window. inertia is a ba@l buster. and the more moving parts to break they will do just that.

heres a bracket were redsigning for a client because of a stress factor, in a dry sump application, and the need to relocate things because of the boats configuration.
it is defineately a trik setup and by design is un surpassed for longevity.
looks like OSG's.....

Quick Reply: Dry Sump ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.