Rebuilding Gimble >

Rebuilding Gimble

Notices

Rebuilding Gimble

Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding Gimble

Hi all I have a couple of rookie questions that I think I know the answers to but would like to double check since I have everything apart.

A little history. 502mpi older bravo drive SN OK213571. Has external steering installed. Assist system not full but is dual ram. I have the engine out for some repair + a few modifications. (Tyler kit)

Since I have a water leak at the top pivot shaft seal I thought now was the time to look at gimbal and repair. I pulled everything to repair - install new bushings and double check the seal to the transom. Pivot shaft on top has minor wear .007 at the bushing area and small pits from water-rust. Does this amount of wear warrant replacing? Pricey little part. If needed I am thinking of replacing it with a S/S pivot shaft that Bob Bender / JR Marine makes along with there U-bolt.

Bottom pivot pin and bushings I am replacing. Along with the top bushings just not sure about top pin yet. Gimbal ring bushings on sides looked in better shape than I would of thought and really show no wear. (Steering rams help?)

Exhaust bellows do I need to re-install if not using through the hub cut outs? Plug hole to lower drive?

What about powder coating parts rather than painting?

Am I missing anything other than bellows?

Thanks for your help.