Sfi Blancers Help Please! >

Sfi Blancers Help Please!

Notices

Sfi Blancers Help Please!

Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sfi Blancers Help Please!

I've run a Performance Products SFI balancer on my 454 for two seasons for probably 60 hours total with max RPM 6500 and it's coming apart.... SCARY!!!
This is the second one I've had as the first one was wobbling right out of the box! Has anybody had these problems? I don't want a GIGANTIC hole in my boat.

What balancers has anybody run with no problems???? Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sfi Blancers Help Please!

I ran a Fluidampr balancer on my 540 Super Gas drag motor for ten years with no problems. It was degreed out to 60, then had 90 degree marks for valve setting, come in different diameters depending on use and billet timing pointers are available for the different sizes. You say yours has an SFI sticker, and it is coming apart? Thats scary, I'd be on the phone looking for some answers. Can't say in my years of racing that I ever even heard of that particular brand though.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered

Anybody else here I've gotta buy one of these quick! Thanks.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Re: Sfi Blancers Help Please!

You could use ATI, Fluidamper (as already stated), GM Parts, Summit Racing, Jegs Racing, etc.......

There are actually quite a few out there that would do just fine. The GM damper will work just fine and is cheaper than the rest most likely.

Just another .02.

Last edited by Pwrbt33; 02-02-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

G,
The first thing I would do is get the serial number off the SFI tag and call SFI and let them know about it. Every SFI damper I have seen is constructed in such a manner that it cannot "come apart". That is what the certification is supposed to be for. Several of my customers use the PP dampers and they seem to be ok. On any "serious" engines, I prefer the ATI ones. ATI also has the ability to be "tuned" to various rpm ranges by using different elastomer bands in the damper. Also rebuildable if ever needed.
Hope this helps,
Old 02-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is it possible the SFI is a internal balance balancer and the crankshaft is externally balanced or vice versa?.....Or for some reason the balancer is doing enough work that it is fatiguing......As I know the Fluidamper,it has fluid that finds its way to the point of balance.Therefore,in an application of constant acceleration,the fluid can find it's" spot " and go with it.However,in the HP marine application,as the drives may be in and out of the water there is a constant accel/decel causing the fluid to constantly hunt for the proper home. The ATI is probably worth considering.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ghittner
I've run a Performance Products SFI balancer on my 454 for two seasons for probably 60 hours total with max RPM 6500 and it's coming apart.... SCARY!!!
This is the second one I've had as the first one was wobbling right out of the box! Has anybody had these problems? I don't want a GIGANTIC hole in my boat.

What balancers has anybody run with no problems???? Thanks

I have heard of some coming apart. Zul said they had one on the dyno ring came off. the rivets come out of the ring.

I just bought some pioneers. there made is Australia. Look to be a good quality . I would say these are between stock and ATI

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.