Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
My B&M250 requires extensive service, switch to NA? >

My B&M250 requires extensive service, switch to NA?

Notices

My B&M250 requires extensive service, switch to NA?

Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going from SC to NA 625 to 500 HP?

Got a call from the Blower Shop today. My B&M 250 is going to cost about 1200 to rebuild. Needs main rotor, gears and a bunch of other stuff. Normal freshen is about 500 bucks.

Option 1:
Go NA. Nickerson can rejet my 1050 for NA and supply an intake to match for about 500 including belts etc. New HP estimated to be about 500.

Option 2:
Pay the 1200 and bolt it all back together. Keep the current 625 HP and pay about 600 a year more for insurance.

Questions:
Nickerson says the 1050 with the cam that I have (230/236 112/114 .597 and .625 lift) and a new single plane Strip Dominator) can be jetted to work well together. They have never steered me wrong. The 1050 just seems a little big. Any thoughts?

Old speed with stock 502 at 425 hp was close to 65 or so. With blower and about 625 HP speed was at 80. What might I see with 500 HP?

Tough decision as parts for the B&M are getting harder to come by. If I rebuilt it now I would be good for about another 250 to 300 hours at which point I would go back to NA and then get another boat. Hard to spend the money for rebuilding old technology and also hard to lose the HP.

NA
Year one 500 parts and saving of 600 on insurance.
Year two 0 parts and saving of 600 on insurance.
Year three standard lifters, rockers, gaskets etc. and springs, no blower freshen.
Props will swap one for one when I find the right deal.
Total cost of three years a savings of about 700 dollars over SC on insurance including intake and assorted stuff.
SC
Year one 1200 parts insurance same at 600 over NA
Year two 0 parts and another 600 premium over NA
Year three, a standard 500 freshen on blower plus lifters, rockers, springs gaskets etc.
Total cost of three years about 3k vs. saving of 700 for premium of say 2k per year for SC considering fuel increased consumption.

I think I need to get a beer and think about this

Last edited by BadDog; 02-02-2006 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: My B&M250 requires extensive service, switch to NA?

Don't fool yourself. You will never be happy with the loss of HP and speed. That's why you put the blower on.

The need for speed exceeds the best things in life
Old 02-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like to me that you may be selling the boat either way within a few years, so what would net you a lesser loss and sell easier; blown or NA.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big is the motor? How about a 10-71?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

You can NEVER go back!!! I am really used to the power my boat is putting out (close to 950 hp) and my buddie bought a 28 checkmate w/525 sc. I was excited to get to drive it and see what it was like. The time came,I couldn'y believe what a slug it felt like,I knew then I am RUINED,Smitty
Old 02-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Registered

Yes Smitty you are RUINED ......Maybe you should try one of those 12 step programs like I seen on Jerry Springer. (sorry to hijack the thread, couldn't resist)
Old 02-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered

I ran one of my 509 engines with and without the B&M 250/single Dominator on Wesco Racing Engines' dyno last fall.
It made 690 hp at 6.5 lbs boost and after removal of the blower and installation of a new Professional Products Hurricane intake along with the same rejetted 1050 Dominator made 560 hp. My cam is very close to yours so I would expect you to get similar results.
I was planning to have one of my blowers rebuilt last winter and The Blower Shop told me at that time to expect what you found out as far as price. I elected to use a shop closer to home (west Michigan) instead.
Wesco Racing Engines sent 5 B&M 250 blowers (three separate customers)to this particular shop. One was determined to be beyond rebuilding economically. Another unit had a failure of the teflon strips before being run on the dyno. The third had a bearing failure withing 5 minutes of engine startup.
Wesco's owner called me to request that he be allowed to run mine on the B&M 250-equpped engine currently on his dyno. Mine was installed, along with my carburetor, and it performed flawlessly. It ran perfectly all last season as well.
The west Michigan shop that rebuilt these units warranteed the required work on the two troublesome units but I think I'd be hesitant to use this particular shop again without being able to run the blower on a test stand or on an engine dyno.
The Reader's Digest condesned version is- I spent $650 for a blower rebuild and got a good unit. I'm sure you would be very happy with TBS if you elect to have yours rebuilt. TBS has an excellent reputation and you will not be disappointed.
I also agree with the post that said you won't be happy without the blowers.
If you need further info on my experience with the west MI blower shop email me at [email protected]
Old 02-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Registered
Gold Member

better get all pricing from nickerson on paper before work is done or you will get a big suprise when the bill comes. im still pissed two years after paying four times what i was verbally qouted. then had to pay shipping twice for warranty repairs on carbs that leaked at every fitting among other problems.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

at which point I would go back to NA
quick somebody wash his mouth out with soap so he wont say it again
Old 02-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if interested i have 3 basically new (dyno time) barry grant marine dominators, and repainted team g dominator intakes off of 555c.i.s, and k&n dom. flame arrestors, that will save a ton over new. and another 20 grand worth of leftover parts for anyone interested with bbcs and bravos.

Quick Reply: My B&M250 requires extensive service, switch to NA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.