Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ? >

Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

Notices

Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

OK < My buddy is very serious about putting prochargers on his 572's in the 38kv Scarab, Konrad equipped boat. Many people like the blowers better , and with either option, it seems there are drawbacks, and longevity / durability issues. I have noticed people selling their procharged motors and building bigger blower motors to replace them. If prochargers were so great, wouldn't it be the other way around ?
I like the idea of a procharger , simply because it is basically a turbo that is belt driven. Turbo charging is very efficient, and provides power across a broad rpm range. Basically I really would like to know the down side to running prochargers. I already know about blowers and swept volume differences,etc... necessitating piston change and re-balancing. Also about aditional stresses that are placed on a blower motor. Also about heat created with the blower, and wear that happens to the blower itself. It seems like cheap easy power. Is it worth it to go procharger. Thanks, BBB
Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

The Procharger doesn't have the intimidation factor until after the race. I've run 4 seasons without any problems.

Last edited by GPM; 02-07-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Registered

Im going to try it. Is your buddy going with EFI or carb?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Vortech, similar system, only problem I've ever had is throwing a belt when you bounce off the rev limiter. They don't like to be shut down at 5500 rpm.........
I like that intimidation comment. I get a little blower surge once in while plus you get a spitter shooting water out the side. When the blower surge is going and water is going up and down people seem to get the hint.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Registered

Holley 1150 3 stage dominators. Tuned by nickerson. BBB
Old 02-06-2006, 09:56 PM
GPM
Registered

You might want to check out, stevemorrisracingengines.com
Old 02-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

I have tested the M-5 for Procharger ran 150gal of fuel on the dyno testing.After using the PSI blower's for 14 years I think Procharger is the future.We can install stock systems and dyno test them or will build the custom systems to fit in the boat.We are a dealer for Procharger and do all packages from mild to wild.
Attached Thumbnails Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?-imag002650%25.jpg   Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?-imag002150%25.jpg  
Old 02-07-2006, 09:27 AM
TC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad has run a Pro Charger on his 502 efi 25 Outlaw for 6 years (350 hours) with absolutely no problems yet. I have logged quite a few of those hours on it myself and If there was a "weak link" I think it would have shown by now. As stated before, the added HP does apply more stress on engine and drive but if it is used in moderation the package should last a very long time.

My dad did lots of research on blower set ups and chose the Pro Charger in the end. OSO member arcticfriends (Smitty) should be able to give us some input on this topic. He has one heck of a Pro Charger set up I believe.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Updating an older boat with Konrad drives and blowers is a great idea. We have done it using the Rtech performance system which uses Vortech centrifugal blowers and our own intercooler design. We have converted a 1986 Excalibur with Rtech/Konrad and it has been trouble free.

Konrad says 740 ftlbs of torque, but with certain gear sets that number can go higher. You can also get away with more torque if it is applied with a centrifugal system because boost increases linearly with RPM. Up to 1000 HP is available with our single blower system, although that may be pushing the drive in a large boat.

A good naturally aspirated engine is a perfect candidate for a centrifugal system (~8.5:1 CR). Many of the changes that are required on a Roots blower engine are simply crutches for high heat and low efficiency; you don't need them.

Nice job with the M-5 Dave. Centrifugal will prevail eventually.
Attached Thumbnails Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?-rtech-big-gun-email.jpg   Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?-fpbc-resized.jpg  
Old 02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
GPM
Registered

Tomcat, when do we get to see the big numbers?

Last edited by GPM; 02-07-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Prochargers, What's the real deal / draw backs ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.