Pocket Porting >

Pocket Porting

Notices

Pocket Porting

Old 02-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pocket Porting

Having a set of heads rebuilt and do not have money to have them professionally ported. Couple of questions maybe you guys could help me with and keep me going in the right directions.

502 with stock rect port heads fitted with 2.25 intake and 1.89 exhaust valves. Is it worth it for a home builder to pocket port and do some blending to help flow. I thinking minor work here nothing major from what I have read. Sometimes less is better than more.

I am also looking for all the information I can get on exactly what and what NOT to do. I have some information but more is better. Pictures are worth a thousand words as someone once said. Thanks if you can help.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:24 PM
GNJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Pocket Porting

I have rect. heads on my Gen 6 502's as well. Most of the articles I have read on rect. heads mention to clean up the exhaust side and leave the intake runners alone. When I took my heads off to have a valve job, I noticed alot of rough casting inside the exhaust bowl that could stand to be cleaned up which had the potential to create turbulence. Also, the exhaust pocket I expanded out to allow more flow of the exhaust gases. You can also clean up the short side radius and blend in as well. Easy - but be carefull that you blend and not gouge out too much. I wouldn't do anything to the intake runners. Gary
Old 02-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Banned

If you are talented with a die grinder it is beneficial to do bowl port work. You can mildly clean up the intake bowl under the seat area. I would suggest positioning your seat with layout fluid so you do not get into it. Have you machine shop set the heads up so you know what not to grind. Keep a .030-.050 margin away from the 45 seat. Basically you want to remove excess material and shape bowl short turn. The exhaust pocket with net the most gain. The short turn side of the ex.bowl is very peaky. This side needs to be formed into a radius . Keeping consitricity and shape are very important. If done wrong you can actually go backwards. Do not touch intake runners at all.

Dean Gellner
Old 02-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. You have confirmed my other research and confirmed my less is more comment. I am handy with a die grinder. I was thinking of just some cleaning up and work some on short turn radius but I do not want to get carried away and remove too much and hurt the flow. I have a couple of books that show some pictures and describe in some detail what you are supposed to do.

Recommendations on chambers other than stay away from spark plug holes - threads and valve seats? Thinking of de-burring - polish and cc them while I have heads a part.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:50 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are some picks on my thread.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...t=500efi+build

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I have done a couple of sets myself on BBC. Look at the Standard Abrasives website, they have some good tips and you can buy their kit through Summit. I start by Gasket matching the Intake with the Heads and then work my way back not removing more metal than needed.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tptools.com has some nice long-reach burrs and other abrasives. Good pricing too.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has the long reach die grinders?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388

Heres the grinder I used ,its cheap but works
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93621
Attached Thumbnails Pocket Porting-heads%25201-22-05%2520005%2520%2528small%2529-small-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 12-04-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by excalibur32
Who has the long reach die grinders?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

this should work for you . it's the mandrel length , this kit has a 4" which should work ok..
you can also buy the cone shaped abrasives at summit too...

Quick Reply: Pocket Porting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.