Notices

Wind away

Old 02-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wind away

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
Do your "new" ones clamp to the windshield frame???

Doug
No they don't. I custom mounted the grab bar to the top of my windshield, with allen bolts from the inside of the track. A lot of work, but it looks and works great even at 100+ mph. And when I fold them down the boat cover still fits without removal.

Last edited by zt260; 02-12-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had no problems with Wind-Away. I have found mine to be effective, durable, and well made. I have done nothing to them other than take 'em on and off for two full seasons, and I run them all the time.

I got my $ worth out of them the first weekend I ran them.

They aren't that expensive...peanuts really in the whole scheme of things.

Just because they didn't work for you, or your application is no grounds to label a product "pure overpriced junk"

You are the first one I ever heard trash wind-away.

Last edited by Rippem; 02-11-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see the thing im looking at is the finneys need a lot of rigging on my own and the wind away just clamp on so i think i will try and find used ones for now or maybe just buy new ones
Old 02-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

wind aways work very well, but not the highest quality.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Registered

hat and sunglasses, or just take your girlfriend until she starts to complain then trade her in
Old 02-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

im tring to trade mine now! nobody will take in trade!!!

cant toss her overboard, scott Peterson proved that doesnt work
Old 02-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Registered

I've used Wind Away for three years. They work fine for me. The only detractor is that the rubber pads will eventutally come loose and need reglued to the clamps. Mine were lost and I bought a piece of rubber at a gasket company and cut new ones and attached with 5200. Also, my windshield frame is square and the clamps work great there. Personally, when mine get too scratched, I'll probably have a local plastics shop cut me a new pair just slightly larger and retrofit to the clamps. The bags are worth getting but I seldom use mine anymore. We just disconnect and lay on dash behind windshield. If you have round tube at top windshield, I don't believe wind away will clamp on. The finney's look a little more custom but I'm not sure how they would attach to a square frame. They look very good and like they would last a long time.

Is Wind Away Junk ? Not in my opinion at all.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by impulsive one
see the thing im looking at is the finneys need a lot of rigging on my own and the wind away just clamp on so i think i will try and find used ones for now or maybe just buy new ones
Are you just looking for something that clamps on to your wind screen? I can't imagine that to be very durable.

There's really not that much to installing the finneys mounting bar. Just drill two holes and run the supplied bolts through from the underside and tighten down, then the screen is adjustable on the bar. I slide mine up and down all the time.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rippem
I have had no problems with Wind-Away. I have found mine to be effective, durable, and well made. I have done nothing to them other than take 'em on and off for two full seasons, and I run them all the time.

I got my $ worth out of them the first weekend I ran them.

They aren't that expensive...peanuts really in the whole scheme of things.

Just because they didn't work for you, or your application is no grounds to label a product "pure overpriced junk"

You are the first one I ever heard trash wind-away.
Let just say our standards must be different.

For $120 a pair I expect it to work out of the box. The clamping mechanism is plastic and I had to modify it just to clamp on tight. Then there are the pads, that fall off after a few uses. Finally since you have to remove them to cover the boat they get scratched up real quick even if you’re careful. (The plexiglas they use is very soft). Oh and if you ever run over 70mph wait till they let go and try to take your head off.

No thanks. Hence the term "pure overpriced junk" I should have added dangerous.

If the plexiglas was decent quality and the mount was billet, I would give it a fair rating. They still don’t look that great. That's why after a lot of testing I custom mounted the Finneys. I've never seen anyone else mount them this way. They work awesome.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish they made something for the old Top Guns like the new ones have !

Quick Reply: Wind away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.