Notices

Wind away

Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wind away

Originally Posted by Harper220
Are you just looking for something that clamps on to your wind screen? I can't imagine that to be very durable.

There's really not that much to installing the finneys mounting bar. Just drill two holes and run the supplied bolts through from the underside and tighten down, then the screen is adjustable on the bar. I slide mine up and down all the time.

no i want somthing to clamp to the frame of the windshield i think there was also a company called wind foiler anyone ever here of this company
Old 02-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Registered

check these out windfoiler.com
Old 02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I used Wind-Aways on my former 22 Velocity and they were great - after I made a couple modifications. I reinforced the mounting attachment to the plexiglass with some stainless washers and hardware. I also used a stronger glue to attach the rubber inserts on the clamping surface. The biggest improvement was to have a local plastics shop slightly reshape them so they looked better matching the slight curve of the windshield, and they also bent a "lip" into the trailing edge to add additional wind deflection. They never budged at 80 mph and they really spoiled me and my wife. I never drove the boat without them.

I don't need them on my Velocity VR1 so I'd sell them. Each comes in its own storage case.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Registered

how much do you want for them
Old 02-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered

zt260, I can tell from your comments that our standards are probably different. I can also say honestly that the wind aways did fine for me. My boat will do 70 and more and they've never been a problem for me. I sure didn't mean to insult your intelligence ! I just stated my honest experience. If yours is different, that's great. Like I said, I also like the finney design. It's very nice. Also, when I purchased my wind aways, the Finney product wasn't around that I was aware of anyway. And, not everyone goes over 70 mph all the time ! So, they work for some people and not for others. Just like most everything else in this world.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't take it as an insult. I just wanted people to know it's not the perfect solution. I bought mine on the recommendations of others and was disappointed. I don't want that to happen to anyone else.

If you can handle the look of them and your boat isn't too fast, you could get away with it, but they will scratch up and the mounts will annoy you in time.

After using the windaway, I knew I needed a permanent adjustable solution that would work at high speed. If anyone wants more specifics on how to mount the bar, I'd be happy to share.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by zt260
If anyone wants more specifics on how to mount the bar, I'd be happy to share.

Yes, I would....I currently have windaways on my boat and am looking for other options...

Don'y get me wrong, they're O.K. but the little pads keep comming off and the hardware has to re-tightened all the time but other than that they work....they've only hit me in the face twice at 75+mph

Doug
Old 02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
Yes, I would....I currently have windaways on my boat and am looking for other options...

Don'y get me wrong, they're O.K. but the little pads keep comming off and the hardware has to re-tightened all the time but other than that they work....they've only hit me in the face twice at 75+mph

Doug
What mate do you have? I’d assume the windshield is similar to mine. You need to buy some stainless allen head bolts to do this right.

There are two main things to do.
Once you have decided a location, you must modify the angle on the grab bars. Luckily the bolts in the grab bar are only welded on one side. Just bend the bolt in a bit and grind the end of bar to fit your windshield. Be careful to cool the bar to avoid discoloring.

Second is the drilling the windshield frame. You obviously must remove the top of the windshield. Then dill holes up through the frame (use the picture for reference) My windshield has a fold in the front side of the channel that slightly blocks the area you want the bolt head to rest. I used a dremel to remove the extra material. It will leave a hole to the outside of your frame but if you’re careful the stainless allen bolts will fill the void. Use locktight and mount the bars, reassemble the windshield and clamp on the defectors. It took me about 2 hours start to finish.
Attached Thumbnails Wind away-finneys.jpg  
Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Escape Velocity
I used Wind-Aways on my former 22 Velocity and they were great - after I made a couple modifications. I reinforced the mounting attachment to the plexiglass with some stainless washers and hardware. I also used a stronger glue to attach the rubber inserts on the clamping surface. The biggest improvement was to have a local plastics shop slightly reshape them so they looked better matching the slight curve of the windshield, and they also bent a "lip" into the trailing edge to add additional wind deflection. They never budged at 80 mph and they really spoiled me and my wife. I never drove the boat without them.

I don't need them on my Velocity VR1 so I'd sell them. Each comes in its own storage case.
You had what, what , what, what , and what done to them??

After all that, was it worth it?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm...

I superglued the pads on, other than that they are out of the box. I had one come off once...before I learned to tighten the thumb screws down more, especially after the rubber faces on the clamps warm up in the sun...DUH!!

160 hours. Taylor windshield on my 353 with radiused (rounded) top frame (not square).

They are not scratched to he!! because I'm smart enough not to scrub plexiglass!
Or use windex often, as the ammonia breaks down plastic!!!

When they are plasterd with dried bugs...they get a soak in warm water...or most often a dip in the river and cleaned off pretty easily with a dripping wet chamois. The Absorber synth. chamois doesn't scratch...and river water is soft water and breaks down the bugs quick...makes cleaning easy!

Am I just one of the "lucky ones", or do I just know how to install and care for sh!t ????

I guess I need to drill holes and install some gaudy 80's style handrails on the top (or worse looking yet) back of my top w/s frame...

and get some real wind deflectors.

Quick Reply: Wind away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.