Oil cooler and fuel pump

Notices

Oil cooler and fuel pump

Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil cooler and fuel pump

Two questions for fellow oso brothers,

1) Stock 1991 oil cooler mounts to upper bell housing on my 502 and water line runs over intake manifold up to thermostat housing.I want to reroute this house some how other then onto intake manifold.Any one done this or have any ideas?Pictures?

2) I want to eliminate fuel pump from sea water pump housing.I am running electric pumps now.Can I just use a block off plate?Is there and oil in this pump housing to worry about?

Thanks Nordic95
Old 02-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler and fuel pump

1) I wouldnt reroute water intake

2) no oil just hp drive lube at fuel pump, but if running elec fuel pump would install fuel pump shut off switch at oil press pick up.... ( if mtr shuts down or lack of oil press will shut down fuel pump)

Last edited by GOODT; 02-10-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GOODT
1) I wouldnt reroute water intake

2) no oil at fuel pump, but if running elec fuel pump would install fuel pump shut off switch at oil press pick up.... ( if mtr shuts down or lack of oil press will shut down fuel pump)
I'm just looking to reroute the upper hose from cooler to thermostat.My 95 7.4 liter had oil cool mounted low on side of motor and hose then ran from cooler past motor mount and up front of motor to thermostat.I just dont want to see it.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Ansewer to #1) Yes you can route the hose how ever you like! I would suggest that you keep the run as short as you can. Go to West Marine or other marine store and purchase a length of HD 1 1/4" wire reinforced hose (the black hose with a blue stripe) and be careful not to kink it on a corner. If you need to make a sharp turn use an elbow. I would suggest double clamps or the real good clamps (the ones that are twice as much $) on all cooling hoses! Also, I would secure the hose at points along the run so it isn't flopping around.

#2) Yes, there is oil (drive lube) in the water/fuel pump housing. The fuel pump block off plates work fine.

Last edited by TomR; 02-10-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomR
Ansewer to #1) Yes you can route the hose how ever you like! I would suggest that you keep the run as short as you can. Go to West Marine or other marine store and purchase a length of HD 1 1/4" wire reinforced hose (the black hose with a blue stripe) and be careful not to kink it on a corner. If you need to make a sharp turn use an elbow. I would suggest double clamps or the real good clamps (the ones that are twice as much $) on all cooling hoses! Also, I would secure the hose at points along the run so it isn't flopping around.

#2) Yes, there is oil in the water/fuel pump housing. The fuel pump block off plates work fine.
How do you fill water pump housing with oil,is there a plug or just pore in thru fuel pump opening,and how much?Type?

The problem I have with the water line is that the oil cooler exit nipple is facing up,so I would have to make like a 180 degree bend to go up then down under exhaust maifold to the front of the motor and then up to thermostat.I almost need a fromed hose or move the oil cooler.

Do they make formed elbows with couplings for this hose?Its after the raw water pump,does it need to be reinforced?
Nordic95
Old 02-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

You can find all shapes of hose at napa. I tell them what I am looking for and they tell me to just go back there and look through the different radiator hoses that they have.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Registered

Is the cooler bracket just clamps, could you just loosen and rotate the whole cooler so the nipple faces down? Actually I just looked at a picture, this may be a challenge? I think I may have a cooler hanging around that would work. If you are interested PM me.

Last edited by TomR; 02-10-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Registered

You can fill it thru top, should fill it so you can just see the top of the fuel pump cam.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here you go ! sorry
Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler and fuel pump-pan008.jpg  
Old 02-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Originally Posted by GOODT
here you go ! sorry
NOTE: Some housings only have 1 Plug!! Fill till it comes out!

Dave