Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding

Notices

Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding

Old 02-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding

Well I was a litle bored today so I decided to finally fabricate my outdrive lift. I thought if I came up with a simple design with no welding required some of the board members who dont have access to a welder could fabricate one easily. An added feature is since it is bolted together it can easily be broken down for storage.
I also decided to use the sears Aluminum ATV lift so I could convert the stand into a lift for drive installation.
I used Aluminum Unistrut ( the adult erector set). I will tweak the design when I try it this spring. I( know I need to drop the height about 1 inch after I measured my floor to drive height today but that will be easy.

I went overboard on the casters as they are not even required (except to roll the stand around) the unistrut can be purchsaed at most home supply stores I use McMaster-carr as it is local. The sears ATV lift is a little pricey but is aluminum and very light. Even with the pricey sears lift I am under 250 for this project. Plus I have a seperate lit and stand

Let me know your comments
Attached Thumbnails Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-dsc00542-small-.jpg   Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-dsc00543-small-.jpg   Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-dsc00544-small-.jpg  

Last edited by klaw; 02-11-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding

Looks great! We have alot of the unistrut laying around our shop at work. Always making something from it.

I prefer the home made projects myself also. Cheaper and sometimes more universal. My motor stand doubles as a drive stand to store and R&R the drive from the boat as a 1 man operation. Also can be used as a bench stand by unbolting the secondary tube from the large angle, and bolting it to a work bench. The red ruler denotes the motor stands original pipe with the flat plate (not shown) welded to it, which bolts to the large angle plate. By pivoting the angle on the stands main tube, the drive height is adjusted up or down as needed. The drive mount pipe rotates in the secondary tube to keep the drive level at all heights.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered

i like it....good job
Old 02-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Job well done...Great idea
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took an old Craftsman 6" disc/belt sander stand, a few welds and minor mods later - instant home made drive stand/remover/installer. Hanging the drive from the top is the way to go in my opinion. Makes for a very easy installation with no scratches! This stand works very well and is very light weight and portable. The down side is that the drive has to be no more than six or so inches off the ground. I could make it taller, but then it wouldn't fit under some swimsteps.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-drivestand01.jpg   Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-stand01.jpg   Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-drivestand03.jpg  

Old 02-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_N
I took an old Craftsman 6" disc/belt sander stand, a few welds and minor mods later - instant home made drive stand/remover/installer. Hanging the drive from the top is the way to go in my opinion. Makes for a very easy installation with no scratches! This stand works very well and is very light weight and portable. The down side is that the drive has to be no more than six or so inches off the ground. I could make it taller, but then it wouldn't fit under some swimsteps.

Dave
Whats holding up the drives???
Old 02-12-2006, 04:28 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to all, Dave's is a real tribute to K.I.S.S. but the winter project seeker in me likes klaw's
Old 02-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Registered

in my line of work they call it a sky hook.it looks like a bolt is attached to the cap plate
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alpha/Bravos have a place where you can hang the drive using a hook shaped bolt , and on OMC/Volvos you can thread a bolt into the dipstick hole.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-hpim3528a.jpg   Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding-hpim3684a.jpg  
Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
NoQuarter

Nice stands.

I made one out of wood 2x4 that I had laying around. It didn't look too bad, but the price was right... free. Home made stuff for me is the whole point... that's the fun part.

Quick Reply: Outdrive stand and lift homemade no welding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.