Exhaust advice >

Exhaust advice

Notices

Exhaust advice

Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust advice

Here we go again with more exhaust questions,but I think mine is a little different.You have seen my engine combination in Winter Project.I am running Revolution Marine exhaust manifolds and captains call.I spoke with Terry at Revolution Marine and he says there souldn't be any problem with my combination as it is.I am worried about reversion with the cam I'm running.Does any one think I would be better off eliminating the switchable exhaust and just go thru the transom?Will this help eliminate reversion?What kind of mufflers have you guys run and how do they work and sound?I know a lot of lakes say the captains call is illegal,and that is also a cosideration to eliminate it.I like the E series Livorsi has advertised but its a little pricey.Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Nordic95
Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust advice

depends on the cam. i had EMIs aluminum and corsa switchables. had reversion, changed to EMI SS risers with water that enters the exhaust stream at the very tip of the riser(actually it was extended to be about 1/4" longer inner pipe than outer pipe. STILL had reversion!!! my solution will probably be the cam at some point, im getting by with diverting some water for now and its been fine. i miss being able to quiet it down though!!
so i guess, just watch it right away!
Capt. call is illegal in some places, only if your switching it and if your tested you get checked in the "loudest" manner (open)
kevin
Old 02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Registered

Revolution Marine says they inject the water further down then the stock exhaust and they have a dam of some sort to disperse the water into the exhaust stream.

Nordic95
Old 02-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

they are nice exhaust for the money thats for sure but i dont think youll know about the reversion until you try it. unless you know which cam your running?
when i had the reversion problem with the corsa setup, i didnt know i had it until i couldnt dry up the oil (had the "milkshake" effect on it...not real bad though.)
i could actually idle mine on the hose for a while and pull the exhaust manifold and water would be pooled at the port inside the manifold.
and then with the long riser i could idle the motor and stop it, look up the tip, lift the flap, let the fumes clear and see the water path going back up there. my problem with the "dam" is if its only at the bottom of the exhaust tube and its designed to stop water from getting back "up" the exhaust line there, i think itll help but not prevent it. i saw my water line occurring all the way around the inside of the tube. yes it had a pattern about it, but it wasnt just at the bottom.

anyway,what cam did you run? you probably wont hav any issues at all but id keep an eye on it!!

read your other thread, nice project. like to know more about you motor setup and parts!!

kevin
Old 02-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatn70
they are nice exhaust for the money thats for sure but i dont think youll know about the reversion until you try it. unless you know which cam your running?
when i had the reversion problem with the corsa setup, i didnt know i had it until i couldnt dry up the oil (had the "milkshake" effect on it...not real bad though.)
i could actually idle mine on the hose for a while and pull the exhaust manifold and water would be pooled at the port inside the manifold.
and then with the long riser i could idle the motor and stop it, look up the tip, lift the flap, let the fumes clear and see the water path going back up there. my problem with the "dam" is if its only at the bottom of the exhaust tube and its designed to stop water from getting back "up" the exhaust line there, i think itll help but not prevent it. i saw my water line occurring all the way around the inside of the tube. yes it had a pattern about it, but it wasnt just at the bottom.

anyway,what cam did you run? you probably wont hav any issues at all but id keep an eye on it!!

read your other thread, nice project. like to know more about you motor setup and parts!!

kevin
Chect out "Project complete" here in Q&A by Mike11. He is the one that built the engines.Let me know if you need any particular info.And thanks for your thoughts.
Nordic95
Old 02-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Registered

i didnt see any cam info in there, maybe i just missed it!! nice project though.
the cam guys know better than i, i still have to correct my cam.
you will need to know what the overlap is....some say in crane that you wont get any reversion with the 731 cam, but may with the 741. mine isnt crane so i have to figure it out.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Re: Exhaust advice

Cam may be an issue. Too much lobe seperation and it will suck water. I Like the silent choice style exh. Also installed the switchable tips on the end of Cmi Talipipes on a pair of radical 572's, $3000 later they made no real noise reduction and are a waste of money. I'm thinking about Cmi's with the switchable system. Also the rules on the lake disallowing the
switchable exhaust is a joke. What about all of those filthy smelly, polluting outboards. More stupidity from overpaid, overcontrolling, idiots with too much time on thier hands, Like the Idiots in Albany that re-arranged 2 intersections by me messing up traffic badly, and accidents have increased. Too much power in the hands of retards. BBB
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Registered

The cam in question is a crane cam #139651.All the info is on there web site.

Thanks Nordic95