oil pan clearance to engine mount >

oil pan clearance to engine mount

Notices

oil pan clearance to engine mount

Old 02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil pan clearance to engine mount

A little dilema here. I need some opinions and experiences.
The oil pans on my replacement engines (Mark IV 454's) are deeper than my old pans from my old Mark IV 454's. I believe they are 8 qt pans and the deep section carries further forward than the old pans did. The new oil pans will not clear my stock mercruiser TRS solid engine mounts. I attempted dropping the pan and switching with my old pans, however the oil pump is set deeper on my replacement engines due to the deeper pans. There is no pump pickup clearance with the bottom of the smaller pans.

The way I see it, there are a few options to solving this dilema.....

1.) Cut the mount to fit around the pan, I would have to cut out several inches of mount material making it very thin at one corner weakening it's lateral support, but how much lateral is really needed? Most of the support is on each side at the bolt locations right. I could also beef up the lateral support under the mount to help reinforce it. If possible, I would like this option better, so as to retain the larger pans.

2.) Replace the pans with the MCM style 6 qt pans that have the deepest draft further back to clear the plate mount, and have the oil pump pickups moved up to clear the bottom of the pans to 3/8". I have no windage trays on the replacements mounted on the engines, and don't think I really need them anyway. This would require outside labor to re-weld the pickups since I have no welding capability here.

3.) Do they make a solid mount to accomodate deeper oil pans?

Any experiences or opinions in either direction? Will cutting the mount even with reinforcing welds make it too weak? Cutting down the upper corners would seem to really thin the structure.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails oil pan clearance to engine mount-dcp02942.jpg  

Last edited by stinger390; 02-20-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil pan clearance to engine mount

I just pulled a melling hv pump and pickoff off one engine that I changed pans on. Its for the 6 quart aluminum pan (8" deep if I remember right) and only has one season on it. No blowups or anything bad in there. I just went to bigger pans. If you go that route and want this, pay for shipping and it yours.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered

No expierence with this personally but I would would not want to run a smaller pan.

If reinforcing is done correctly there should be no problem with cutting the mount in my opinion. That or buy - build new mounts.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Registered

Repowered a boat with a friend. Used tube style mounts.
They mount up just like yours to the angle bracket.
It's nice to have a foam mock up block. I have one from p- ayr products, it has all the bolt holes with thread inserts and is an exact replica. You could also put a small bottle jack under the dampener and remove the front mount and modify it and take it on and off with ease. I'd go with the 8 Qt pan. You don't want all the oil being pumped to the top end and have the pump suck air. Especially a major concern with a Hv Pump. One more thing , use lock tite and lock washers on the motor mount bolts. Because they are solid , they tend to send vibration to the bolts , loosening them up. You can get the mounts from Cp Performance. Or just modify yours.
BBB