Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Expected Horsepower Increase From Through Prop to Through Hull? >

Expected Horsepower Increase From Through Prop to Through Hull?

Notices

Expected Horsepower Increase From Through Prop to Through Hull?

Old 02-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expected Horsepower Increase From Through Prop to Through Hull?

Hey folks. I'm interested in gaining a couple extra MPH on a Formula 330SS with 7.4L 454's spinning Bravo 3's. The boat came with through-prop exhaust only.

I'm considering installing switchable exhaust on the boat using both IMCO's Powerflow manifolds and their Sound Advantage switching system, and I was just curious if I could realistically see a decent horsepower/speed increase with the upgraded headers and move to through-hull exhaust.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Expected Horsepower Increase From Through Prop to Through Hull?

I got about 3mph which in my single engine Donzi 22 Classic is maybe 30hp.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Registered

Gaining 1 mph per 10 hp is most likely the very rare exception rather than the standard. The DONZI may be a nice exception where others might not be so responsive. Gaining 30 hp changing from prop to transom is highly exceptional as well. I will certainly not question anyones gains but the typical gains are probably a lot less. Most people with stock, mild engines gain little if anything changing from prop to transom exhaust other than a more high performance sound. I say this based on 3 years of OSO forum discussions on this very same subject. The good thing is that it's a nice place to start high performance mods.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by deboatmon
Most people with stock, mild engines gain little if anything changing from prop to transom exhaust other than a more high performance sound.
Yea, I wasn't really expecting a major difference in performance. The 330SS is a pretty heavy boat so it probably would take some decent HP gains to get it moving faster.

The upgrade to through-hull is in part for the "cool" factor of open exhaust, but I figured maybe I could net a little extra speed in the process too...
Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

My buddy went from thru prop to thru hulls on a 21 Scarab with a 350. He said he picked up maybe 100 rpm.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My experience is by accidentally not opening the silent choice at full throttle and not being able to get over 71-72mph on GPS, then flip the switch and hit 74-75mph gps immediately. Kind of an accidental experiment. 502 Mag in a 3500lb Donzi 22 Classic stock Bravo drive.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

If you are running Bravo 3's you are probably wasting your time. Those drives seem to hit a wall around 55 mph or so. They are real efficient out of the hole and through the mid range but reach a point where they can't really move any more water. I would consider changing to Bravo 1's before I spent any money on any other parts. Start a thread about the performance of a Bravo 3 and get some more opinions.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Registered

I don't know what the HP increase is but I just gained 4 mph on the top going from baffled through hull tips to open through hull tips. This on a Formula 223SS with a Mercruiser 502.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

I measured the exhaust backpressure on my 7.4 BIII - 2.5 psi @ 4700 rpm. Dropping that even to zero isn't likely to help much. Especially since you are out of cam & heads there anyway. Moral of the story: stock exhaust is adequate for stock engines.

Remember that on later model BIII, the exhaust doesn't really go through the prop - take a look at the exhaust tube when trimmed for normal running, the extension from the drive doesn't even go in the tube. Lots of open area there. (early models used the bellow IIRC)

Cool factor is another story, but you won't gain anything measurable on a stock engine.

Last edited by apollard; 12-15-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered

I too am switching from prop exhaust to a Rex Maring captains call exhaust system this winter in my 216 Wellcraft Eclipse for the "cool" factor. Not expecting any real performance gains but if it happens... hell I'll take it!

Quick Reply: Expected Horsepower Increase From Through Prop to Through Hull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.