exhaust temps >

exhaust temps

Notices

exhaust temps

Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down exhaust temps

What would make the exhaust temps on one side of engine alot higher than the other side. So high in fact that the rubber exhaust hose was smoking.
This happened during break in procedure, all new parts in engine. Primed with oil. When first fired appered to have alittle valve train noise on the side in question. (port side, 1,3,5 and 7)
So far have checked timing, spark plugs, plug wires. Have engine builder coming thursday to listen to engine before removing. Any ideas?
thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: exhaust temps

If the exhaust hose was smoking, I would say you weren't getting enough water to that side.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Registered

Unhappy Re: exhaust temps

When we rigged up for water, I removed belt from raw water pump, then removed the outlet hose from pump and attached a 1" water supply hose to this. I have water x-over so no circulating pump. When running appeared to have same amount of water coming out exhaust. Engine not running hot. Kept eye on temps of block, intake manifold etc. with infared heat gun. Have gil exhaust, all new gaskets. The side in question, riser was around 25 degres hotter than the other.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Registered

Dont worry about the few snags that youve got jus dont rush it. Take your time and work out the kinks. I rebuilt a 454 ho two years ago. all new parts from GM per. parts. get the motor in the boat after we primed the oil pump. start it up- no oil pressure- had to pull the motor back out and get another new oil pump. after that no problems. who built the motors for you over there in tickfaw?
Old 02-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Registered

Unhappy Re: exhaust temps

Thanks for the understanding, and yes I guess I do need to be paitient. Don't get to work on boat much. Home 2 weeks out of month. Oilfield. I did not have engines built around tickfaw. Greg Porcello @ Porcello racing engines in Hattisburg Ms built them. Known him personally for 8 years. Have confidence in his ability just alittle aggrevated with it all. Hope someone on this forum can give some ideas as to what to look for.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ran water crossovers on a few boats and had same problem with hot spots checked them on the water and where worse under load temp differences of over 75 degrees on exhaust and even worse on heads from front to rear went back to circulating pumps end of problems.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:55 PM
Registered

Are you sure you dont have an airlock on that head? Sure sounds like its water/cooling related. Why no circ pump, you running a blower?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Need more info;

What gen are your blocks? Do you know what your oil temp is, not from a hand held IR sens but a guage? Do you have remote oil filters? If so you may be bypassing your oil coolers. What heads? Do you KNOW you have the right gaskets for the heads and block combo? If you had a rubber exhaust pipe smoking you have a much greater than 25 deg differential on the mills. Did you try backflushing the cooling? Does the temp go up at idle or under load? Fresh mills can run a little hot but it sounds like you may be getting hot enough to make the oil breakdown.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running a crossover, are you running a thermostat? Do you have holes drilled in the thermostat. If you don't have the holes, on a fresh startup there will be a lot of air around the thermostat and it won't open until the engine gets really hot. Maybe its a lack of water. Trying to break in a cam on a hose may just take too much water.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Registered

Info on engine combo- '89 454 mark 4
bored 30 over
KB 9.2 to 1 pistons
square port heads
merc. alum. high rise intake
rebuilt and dialed in quadrajet for engine
combo by SMI
Gil super stock exhaust
x-overs with 165 degree stats. drilled
ultradiyne cam-@50 223/231, 280/288
110 degree lobe seperation
All new valve train, non roller cam
Harland sharp roller rockers
New push rods
All internals were replaced with new with the exception of crank and rods.
Did backflush coolers, high temp is only on port side of engine, do not have oil temp gauge, positive on right gaskets, did not idle, I shut down and have not cranked it back yet. If it is water related I don't understand why it also has noisy valve train on that side. Other engine smooth as silk. I do have remote oil filters. If that head is air locked how do I fix that?

Quick Reply: exhaust temps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.