Slight "roller tracks" on camshaft >

Slight "roller tracks" on camshaft

Notices

Slight "roller tracks" on camshaft

Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slight "roller tracks" on camshaft

Just replaced my roller lifters and rockers. While apart noticed a slight roller track on one camshaft lobe. I checked the lifter that was associated with it and it had a slight track on it as well. Engine is still in boat and was fine before replacing lifters. If you run a finger nail over the cab lobe you can almost feel the scratch. Is this something to be concerned about? The lifters are new but the cam has 300 hours on it.

Tim T.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Re: Slight "roller tracks" on camshaft

Tim,
Its really hard to say without actually looking at it, but most roller cams I have seen in engines usually have some track marks on them. The cast hydraulic rollers seem to be the worst ones. If it was running ok, with no noise, then it will probably be fine. Feel the roller on the lifter that came out of that hole. Turn it real slow and see if you feel any roughness that might be an indication of bearing problems. Look at the lifters and make sure they are tracking perfectly straight on the cam too. I got 2 sets of Crane retrofit hydraulic lifters about 3 months ago for a pair of 502's and I think the link bars were made wrong. The lifters were noticably crooked in the bores. We replaced them with the Crane ones that use the factory link bars and they were fine. Never did hear anything from Crane on the ones we sent back to them to check
Also, make sure to really do a good job cleaning and lubricating the new lifters. We use brake clean to get all the assembly lube off, then lube the rollers real good with Mobil 1. Keep oiling and turning the rollers by hand until you are sure they are soaked.

Hope this helps,
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 03-01-2006, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lifters were noticably crooked in the bores.
Baddog
If the lifters are installed with the link bar upsidedown it will turn them in the bores about 45*. If that is what you are seeing, perhaps a mistake was made during assembly at the factory. For the most part roller cams are pretty forgiving.
Mike
Roccard Marine Engines
www.roccardmarineengines.com
[email protected]
570-956-2840
Old 03-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Mike,
The bars were not upside down. It was not a real big misalignment, but it was there for sure. I almost did not see it at first but noticed it during final assembly. We tried the lifters in a couple of other blocks in the shop with the same result. I think the bars were just "bent" incorrectly. They were off just enough that I did not feel comfortable with it. I will have to try to remember to call Crane and see if they found anything.

Bill
Old 03-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the track is much more visible on the front of the ramp I would be sure to check that valve spring too.

Ben Wiersum
Precision Power Offshore
Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Registered

Well here is how it happened. After 300 hours I tore it down to replace the lifters, rockers and replace valve springs. While down I noticed the "track" on the cam. I now have new lifters, rockers, valve springs. The scratch is more on the surface and cannot really be felt. I suppose I will be OK, at least I hope because I am in no mood to take the engine out and replace or polish the cam.

BBC 502 with B&M 250.

Tim T.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, I also had the same tracks after 1 yr with my new cam. I did send it back to Crane to be repolished. They said it was fine though. I was not comfortable with the lifters that mated to those couple lobes, so I went ahead and replaced them. All was good for another 2 yrs when I sold the boat. As long as there is no raised metal, I don't see how it can cause any harm.
Your cam and crank bearings have 'tracks'.

Think of it as more LUBE.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered

All buttoned up and running again. Rebuild blower, new rocker arms, new rockers with the original cam, new fuel pump and valve springs. Cometic head gaskets and other assorted new stuff. Fired right up, timing was 2 degrees off. I will just run it and see how it does.

Tim T.