Engine Pre-lubers

Notices

Engine Pre-lubers

Old 03-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Pre-lubers

I am looking for information on engine pre-lubrication.

Can anyone tell me if MasterLube the best product or if there is a better system available? Are they really needed and do they actually do what they say they claim to do? And how difficult of an installation are they, much space require, etc. ??

Thanks for any thoughts/experience on the matter.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered

Default Re: Engine Pre-lubers

You might want to check the Revolution Marine site also.

www.revolutionmarine.com
Old 03-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this, out of pan to an electric fuel pump[ bury the pressure relief spring] then a check valve, and back to your filter head, I run this and it works great, gives about 5 psi on cold starts and makes oil changes simple.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gg10
Try this, out of pan to an electric fuel pump[ bury the pressure relief spring] then a check valve, and back to your filter head, I run this and it works great, gives about 5 psi on cold starts and makes oil changes simple.
If you want to purchase the above type system and get everything you need in one box, see the Keith Eickert web site for their pre-oil kit. The best of the best. And like gg10 stated, makes oil changes simple and quick.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
If you want to purchase the above type system and get everything you need in one box, see the Keith Eickert web site for their pre-oil kit. The best of the best. And like gg10 stated, makes oil changes simple and quick.
Thanks for info guys. Checking the web sites now.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Registered

I have been considering one and have received mixed reviews whether it is necessary. Are most of you running one? Does it really prolong the life of the engine or is it just another option that is nice but not necessary? I would be interested to hear what others think.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Engine Pre-lubers

Here is the way I see pre-lubers.

Any engine that sits for long periods in-between use is a candidate for consideration of such a unit. They do offer benefit but it is not easy to measure exactly how much engine wear is being prevented and what the actual benefit is.

The reason I like Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W-50 is because it says on the label that it is designed for engines that will be stored for prolonged periods of time. It has the ability to hold on and not run off.

So my personal feeling is I would use V-twin and most likely not go for the pre-luber.

If money is no object do both.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:25 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I worked many years at a steam and frigeration plant. We also had 350, 500 and 600 HP air compressors. Everytime we would start the air compressors, we would prime the oil system with hand operated pumps. This would alleviate the "dry start". The units could sit for weeks before we would put them into service.
Our oldest units were World War II vintage and had the original babbit bearings.
Priming the oil system will promote longevity.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Engine Pre-lubers

As you know hospitals have diesel generators in the event of power failure.

Most have prelubers on them from the factory and they have a routine for monthly starting of engines and testing.

I think if you are letting the engine sit a month routinely the engine will benefit from pre-lubing.

By all means if you have the bucks get a system.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the Keith Eickert site and saw they were selling for $381. What do others think? Will this extend the life of your engine? Any of your big dollar engines utilizing this? It's a cool device, but would like to know if others are using on their rigs. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Engine Pre-lubers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.