drive alignment WTF

Notices

drive alignment WTF

Old 03-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive alignment WTF

i have imco boxes , so i orderd the imco tool, would not fit in my old coupler or the new one, a regular tool worked fine, but was to short to reach the coupler in the imco box. NOW how do i get the alignment right, ive picked up the frt the tool is fairly easy going in but hard to pull out. ive did the grease trick looked like more grease on top than bottom, what the trick to this. whats the standard theme more grease on top {raise or lower} and vise versa.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: drive alignment WTF

Look in the hole, you should be able to see if the coupler is higher or lower than the bearing. Grease on top would probably mean you need to lower the motor a little, that would mean its binding on the bottom and scraping the grease off. You'll know right away if it's getting better or worse. Have someone push the tool in and out every time you make an adjustment. Go a turn on each side down until it slips in like butter. If its getting worse your going the wrong way. The trick has nothing to do with where the grease is, the trick is to make the alignment tool slide in and out easily.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: drive alignment WTF

Actually, if the virgin grease is still on the top, with a more pronounce teeth marks in teh grease on the bottom, you need to raise the front of the motor. Reason being with the motor front low, the top of the tool is only making contact with the splines on the very end of the tool, with the bottom side of the tool scraping the grease off from the edge of the splines. Kinda hard to explain.
Do a visual thing: hold a tube (the coupler) in your left hand with the outer end(pinky end) downward. Then with your finger(alignment tool) from right hand held horizontally, with fingernail up, stick it in the tube. (no sexual remarks here) Your fingernail will want to scrap the inside of the top of the tube keeping your knuckle away from the tube (hence no grease wipped off), while the bottom of your finger will scrape along the bottom edge of the tube, wiping off all the grease.

Grease wiped off on top= lower motor front
Greaase wiped off on bottom= raise motor front