Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage >

Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage

Notices

Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage

Old 03-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage

Sounds like a good way to go, but is it necessary? Looking for the best way to set up blower carb.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage

I Installed Some On A Set Of 540 With Whipple 3.3 .they Worked Great And I Think It Is The Safest And Most Accurate Way To Jet Your Carbs. Try To Use A Wide Band 5 Wire 02 Sensor.any Thing Less And It Wont Hold Up To The Marine Enviroment. I Used Fjo Racing Electronics ,many Optons To Pick From And Pc Compatable. Fjoracing.com. The Cost Of Your Motors Is Alot More Than The O2 Setup. I Set Mine At 12.3 Wot For A Blower Setup.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Registered

Thanks! I also have a 540 with a Whipple, but it is a 2.3.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by hangem out 2dry
I Installed Some On A Set Of 540 With Whipple 3.3 .they Worked Great And I Think It Is The Safest And Most Accurate Way To Jet Your Carbs. Try To Use A Wide Band 5 Wire 02 Sensor.any Thing Less And It Wont Hold Up To The Marine Enviroment. I Used Fjo Racing Electronics ,many Optons To Pick From And Pc Compatable. Fjoracing.com. The Cost Of Your Motors Is Alot More Than The O2 Setup. I Set Mine At 12.3 Wot For A Blower Setup.
What aspect of the o2 sensor does not hold up to the marine environment unless it is an Wide Band 5 Wire o2 Sensor?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

take a look at inovative.. they have some nice equipment..
water will kill a wideband.. they say even a bit of moisture. i will see this summer how well they work..

dick
Old 03-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

I was all about these since I cant get at a plug without pulling a motor. Built spacers for my Gils to install them between the manifold and riser. Then, the more I read about the sensors, I realized they are risky with a wet exhaust like mine especially since I have a lot of idle reversion, not enough to get to the valves but the risers are wet. I quess any moisture hits the sensors and they are done. At $100 a pop, that stopped me from pursuing this any farther. Im putting in EGT's instead and I realize it wont be as good.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
take a look at inovative.. they have some nice equipment..
water will kill a wideband.. they say even a bit of moisture. i will see this summer how well they work..

dick
Mine survived fine all last season. Made a spacer between the manifold and elbow to mount the O2 sensor.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage-dsc01172-medium-.jpg   Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage-dsc01173-medium-.jpg  
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Re: Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage

The major Marine engine builders such as Mercury, Volvo, Crusader, Indmar, etc are trying to get some type of permanent long term installation of O2 sensors, wide band or other wise to last in marine exhausts. So far the results have not been totally promising with sensor life being the number one issue. This is being done, because the EPA is requiring that all marine gasoline engines sold under 500HP be run closed loop with O2 sensors and catalytic converters by originally what was to be 2007. Here we go again!! Beuracrats trying to justify their jobs and departments!!
My suggestion here is that you can probably use a bung in your exhaust at the driest point to use for a limited time an air fuel meter and O2 to set your air fuel ratios on any marine motor for ideal engine life and operation. Once you have it set well, I would remove the sensor, install a plug and use your boat. Once its right, you don't really need to mess or fiddle with it, as you will probably end up just trying to fix something thats not broke!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Registered

Ray,
Are you saying that the Catalyst Based Emmisions standards will not be mandated for the '07 model year (here in CA)? I have been following this closely (or at least I thought I had) and was not aware of this. I am on the CARB email list and have not heard anything for a while. Do you know where I can get more current info on this?

Dave
Old 03-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The unit I bought is an Inovate Motorsports, LC-1. It will tie into my new ECU that I built to run the fuel injection.

I have been running a narrow band sensor in each side of my CMI tube top headers. CMI welded a bung in each collector. I think it maybe too close to the joining of the four pipes, but it the narrow band units have worked great for three short summers.. I will tune with the WB and pull it out and monitor with the narrow band gauges...

Dick

Quick Reply: Anyone permanantly install an air/fuel guage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.