Notices

Problem with 525/whipple.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:05 PM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Problem with 525/whipple.

Originally Posted by GLENNS
Does it make the noise in neutral when you rev it? Had a similiar problem on 500efi's after running one of them out of fuel. At about 2700 rpm a popping sound from one motor when under load. Could spin it to 5000 in neutral with no noise. Im no expert but fuel delivery could be the answer.
It doesn't make the noise in neutral but i only took it up to 2000 rpms in neutral.It was about 2700-3000 rpms when the noise started under load.The fuel pressure never moved when this happens either.The things is i didn't run out of fuel unless trying to get on plane it ran out for a split second.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Registered

the black thing is a air idle bypass it let some of the air bypass the blower and go stright to the motor when the motor is idleing so you get a better idle as long as it is hooked up you should be fine only works at idle .it sounds like your problem may be under a load you may want to check the fuel filter also check the belt make sure it is not jumping due to loose adjuster also check the dist cap make sure it is on good and not loose

Last edited by mikes280; 03-19-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by docmanrich37
It doesn't make the noise in neutral but i only took it up to 2000 rpms in neutral.It was about 2700-3000 rpms when the noise started under load.The fuel pressure never moved when this happens either.The things is i didn't run out of fuel unless trying to get on plane it ran out for a split second.

I would pull the plugs out of that motor and see what they look like If it did lean out it will show up there,Electrode gone.Ive seen them get into a little boost getting on plane.With you running those tall props it might of detonated if it ran out of gas. Dustin Whipple's calibration gives it extra fuel at this point.Mine sometimes has a puff of black smoke sometimes getting on plane.I can watch my boost gage getting on plane and I can make it get on plane only going to 0 inch's on the gage , but its easy to go into boost getting on plane.I never go above 2 lbs though.

Being it only does it under load may be electrical?Spark plus wires /clicking noise?

Does the computer have a safe mode that has to be reset?limp mode??

Again I am just guessing,

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Is it a crackling noise or more like a popping/muffled backfire? My Sonic did this once when the fuel switch was in the wrong position (180* opposite direction from fully turned on). This was a N/A 500EFI, but with the fuel switch set wrong, it was starved for fuel. Sounds like something is starving your fuel if so.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:17 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
I would pull the plugs out of that motor and see what they look like If it did lean out it will show up there,Electrode gone.Ive seen them get into a little boost getting on plane.With you running those tall props it might of detonated if it ran out of gas. Dustin Whipple's calibration gives it extra fuel at this point.Mine sometimes has a puff of black smoke sometimes getting on plane.I can watch my boost gage getting on plane and I can make it get on plane only going to 0 inch's on the gage , but its easy to go into boost getting on plane.I never go above 2 lbs though.

Being it only does it under load may be electrical?Spark plus wires /clicking noise?

Rob
I'm not sure about a rest but i'll check the install manual to see.i think i'll take it to the marina and plug the computer upto it to see if it throws anything and check the plugs to.i know it has knock sencer on it .

Last edited by docmanrich37; 03-20-2006 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

That's my guess as well. Good luck Rich!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:41 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Thanks Craig.I pulled 1 plug and took a pic of it .#7 and it was very wet but i can't read a plug unless it was talking to me. Is there a certain 1 i need to look at like 7 or 8 ?
Attached Thumbnails Problem with 525/whipple.-spark-plugs-002.jpg   Problem with 525/whipple.-spark-plugs-003.jpg  

Last edited by docmanrich37; 03-20-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:06 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Pulled the fuel filter and had a little junk in it but clogged.Don't think it's that.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plus should not be wet.Change them ,but that doesn't look like the prob. Did you change the heat range ?

If the DDT doesn't find anything ,you might run a compression test. But I would think it wouldn't leaned out that quick ,. but it can.

did ya ck the ignition?

You prob want beable to get ahold of Dustin till after 2 your time .

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:38 AM
AKA NoMoBoatin
Platinum Member

Plus should not be wet.Change them ,but that doesn't look like the prob. Did you change the heat range ?

If the DDT doesn't find anything ,you might run a compression test. But I would think it wouldn't leaned out that quick ,. but it can.

did ya ck the ignition?

You prob want beable to get ahold of Dustin till after 2 your time .
The plugs are the ones dustin sent with the kit b7... instead ofthe bpr6es.Talked to Tyler and he said do a comp. test too.checked all plug ins and coil and etc. and nothing is unplugged.

Last edited by docmanrich37; 03-20-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Problem with 525/whipple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.