hydraulic helm question >

hydraulic helm question

Notices

hydraulic helm question

Old 04-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: hydraulic helm question

Here is what I have found in my searching (I'm not an expert and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express - just picking up info anywhere I can).

In almost all cases of converting old style cable to hydraulics, the first part seems to be adding the external rams, lines, and end caps. This leaves you with a cable over hydraulics system (a hot setup in mid to late 80's). The problem is that the cable portion left on the inside is still prone to stretching, breaking, free play, etc), so the next part to be replaced is the internals. Replace the cable helm and steering valve with hydraulic helm, lines, filter, etc. This now gives you full hydraulics.

In my case I have an old 86 Fountain with cable over hydraulics. In my search to replace the cable, I found the IMCO kits (ie. HK-02) to be just the ticket. These are the inside hydraulic kits (assumes you already have the external parts).

I have heard mixed answers on the need for a resevoir. Figured I would start without and add it later if needed.

On the size of the hydraulic helm, the 2 most common sizes seem to be the 120 cc and 160 cc. This affects lock to lock turns. For some big applications (rams to push twin #6 drives) a larger (230 cc) helm seems to be the common number. My plan is to go with the 160 cc unit. Char Lynn part number 211-1010.

My latest surprise came last week when I was speaking with someone I consider a SSM expert. He told me that the rams should never be mounted on the inside of a twin drive setup. They should always be on the outside due to the stress they place on the end caps and hinge pins of the drives. He said I should also remove the upper tie bar (also connects to the end caps), and replace it with a lower tie bar and saddles. That news kind of stunned me (visions of more dollars flying out of the wallter) so I am in temporary holding pattern while I try to decifer this new info.

Brad - give me a call if I can confuse you some more! I'll be installing mine in about 3 weeks down at the lake.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: hydraulic helm question

So the helm looks like this http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1882&catname=

You still need a post, wheel, brackets, ect?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: hydraulic helm question

I used the "1010' helm unit when I converted my Bullet...Worked great
Call fred at trick...He can get you the post & parts you need