bravo u-joint questions >

bravo u-joint questions

Notices

bravo u-joint questions

Old 03-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: bravo u-joint questions

When I had to have new driveshafts installed on my XR's they were smaller in diameter compared to the earlier version of XR driveshafts and they came with non-greesable u-joints (no zerts). The earlier u-joints had a zerts greese fitting on them and now the newer version does not. Don't really know if the non-greesable u-joint is good or bad, but it looks to be Merc's latest design.

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-29-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
When I had to have new driveshafts installed on my XR's they were smaller in diameter compared to the earlier version of XR driveshafts and they came with non-greesable u-joints (no zerts). The earlier u-joints had a zerts greese fitting on them and now the newer version does not. Don't really know if the non-greesable u-joint is good or bad, but it looks to be Merc's latest design.

yup ....means mo bucks for merc ....
Old 03-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bravo 1 ujoints are still available, XR/XZ are not, then you replace the whole shaft as Kaama said.
The ujoints are not that hard to change, by the time you finish with the last joint you will have it down pat, well if they are all back together the way they came apart.. I guess I need to charge more??

Bellows is another matter, not for the faint of heart. Not part of the drive, so I dont do that. Still think I need to charge more..

Hope this helps
Dick
Old 03-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would cause a bellows to go bad (leak) at 55 hours?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dukenrock
Cruising with drive trimmed and bellows exposed, hit a small piece of debris, it kicks up and pokes a hole in the rubber bellows.

Or sabatoge.....I had someone cut my bellows while the boat was on the rack. replaced 3 in a month.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered

I had both go bad the same week (Last week) within two days of replacing the first one. Less than 60 hours on them. All U-Joints gimbels seals had to be replaced. Apparently they had been leaking since the last lower unit oil change (Or sooner) that I had done end of last year at 50 hours. Thought it was strange.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dukenrock
critters

muskrats will sometimes chew on the bellows. i've heard a few tales of people leaving their drives trimmed up at the dock, and coming back to find their boat on the bottom because a muskrat chewed through the bellows.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

They better get a bigger bilge pump then
Unless someone could tell me difference I would think it would be a tale.
The water would only drip through the gimble bearing and I was told that was part of the design.
The exhaust bellows would not allow water into the boat.
I have heard of the old OMC where the big rubber boot sprang a leak. That would fill up a boat fast.

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 03-30-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Well, one of the nice things about spending the money on labor, is that i don't have to do the work myself. My time's worth something, and i don't want to be dicking around with a wrench while i could be out boating.
Smart choice. This work does not require a PhD, but you can get into trouble if not familiar with the process. Doing it it all at once is more cost effective, long term, than one piece at a time. The only thing worse than being the one dicking around on a nice day is being the one dicking around fixing what you just finished dicking around with, on another nice day.

The Muskrat deal was fairly common with the older OMC stern drives, I have seen a couple go down after a good chewin by the little critters. The Merc design would take longer for sure, and only thru the driveshaft boot.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 04-02-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So those U-Joints are Merc only sizing and not a standard U-joint that can be bought from a bearings supply house? Seems odd. Sucks haveing to spend $400 to get a $10 part.

Quick Reply: bravo u-joint questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.