Dealers for J&S Safegaurd Ignition >

Dealers for J&S Safegaurd Ignition

Notices

Dealers for J&S Safegaurd Ignition

Old 03-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealers for J&S Safegaurd Ignition

Does anyone know whether there are any dealers for the J & S Safeguard Marine/Racing Ignition system? Preferably someone who can take credit cards for overseas orders.
I've checked out J&S's website and from what I can ascertain (both from there and on this iste), this thing is like the greatest product the marine industry has seen since the advent of the sterndrive. (It would've probably saved me a cracked piston ring land in my 509 the other day)
I would think this thing should be selling like hotcakes and that mail-order vendors would definitely want to add this to their inventory.
However, I can't find anyone who sells it and I haven't got a response to an e-mail I sent to J&S, so I would be interested in buying one if there is someone who has it for sale.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Registered

Default Re: Dealers for J&S Safegaurd Ignition

Louis Boyd has some on order. Right now, they are the only outlet.

I looked for your email, but didn't see it, even in my delete file.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Thanks John. Who is Louis Boyd and how do I get him? I'll resend the e-mail shortly and, if possible, you can respond that way.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Hardcore: How's it going? Any changes to your package?

John: I really enjoyed the tech articles on your website. This should be required reading for any OSO members with supercharged engines. Detonation is bad news, but Pre-ignition is some scary $hit. BTW the link to John Deakins' article doesn't work.

I sent you an email, but I have a question for you here.

Do tuners use your system simply as a safeguard, inactive unless something changes (like bad fuel), or do they tune so that the system is actively retarding spark on the worst cylinders at WOT?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered

Thanks for pointing out the dead link. I found the new address here:
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182132-1.html

Most people say they want to tune for no detonation, but I think that's leaving some power on the table.

Super Chevy did a test in August '93. I don't have a reprint, but here are photos of a couple pages, showing power gains using individual cylinder retard, versus cranking the distributor backwards:

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/images/893SSpage123.jpg

http://www.jandssafeguard.com/images/893SSpage38.jpg
Old 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered

Hey Tomcat! What's happening?! You don't want to hear my latest saga in full so here's the gist:
I rebuilt my 509 with a Comp custom cam and AFR Heads and it picked up like 6mph in N/A form over my old N/A setup. It ran 92MPH w/ 3 people on board with a bogus 3-blade prop.
So I installed the blower w/ a smaller pulley and started the carb tuning exercise all over again (since I lost my old carb and a brand new Mighty Demon to Hurricane Ivan). First I bought another 850 annular Marine Mighty Demon and played with the jetting but the motor would stall whenever the secondaries opened. Traced the problem to a faulty secondary accelerator pump, but meanwhile I had put a new 800 Annular Mighty Demon Blow-through carb on order so I installed that. It ran like $hit out of the box. So I pulled it down and found that the jets were 73 primaries and 81 secondaries (YEOW!) AND the PCVR's were .059" like all other Demons. WTF? So, I got my pin vise and a .095" bit and drilled the suckers out and put 96 jets in the secondatries.
SONAFA***** Turns out the jetting was perfect. BUT in my zealous haste to put the boat in the water with dusk approaching, Genious me forgets to reset timing from 38 degrees max to 30 for the test pass. Can you hear whats coming? BUT Oh did she RUN! I did a short 1/2 throttle burst and almost crapped myself! 30- 85 mph in about 800ft!! (I had a bogus 29inch 3 blade on it and I didn't touch the trim) I turned it back to shore and gave it a full throttle burst and the SOB hit 104mph in about a 1/4 mile before the rev limiter kicked in and she started belching smoke. Turns out the ring land on the pistons in numbers 5 & 7 gave up the ghost but WHAT A RUSH! All of the cylinders had a good colour so I'm convinced it just detonated to death due to the extra timing.
So THATS what got me interested in the J&S system. A friend on this board told me about it and it sounds pretty idiot proof which (as you can tell) is what I need. Plus, you can run decent timing at Low RPM/Low boost which should definitely make more bottom end torque for us hair dryer boys.
I figure if you get the handle on this, we ought to see some more awesome figures from you.
BTW: I have a 540 being built so I'll report back soon on how that works with the J&S. I'll try not to blow it up this time before I get some data...

John: Thanks for the links and what seems to be a badly needed product. You'll be hearing from me very soon.
Later Guys and thanks for your continued help.