Notices

New style sea water pump

Old 04-18-2006, 06:01 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New style sea water pump

Originally Posted by JS232
I have read that you better remove the pump WITH the braket. I am doing mine Saturday. Do yours on Friday
Sounds good to me I will remove mine Friday April 28

I know one thing for sure. If the housing is scared up. I will be brazing and having one of the boys re- surface gride rather than buy a new one Save your parts. I will have them fixed for you so you can have a spare for next season.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Job done!

Here are some shots of the disassembled pump... I was wondering about the Housing shape (Elliptic form). Apparently, it's the original design. I found very light worn on the back late (like you'l find on a disk brake rotor) I decided to leave it like that. After 200 hours, the impeller was in PERFECT shape except it had lost some of it's original flexibility(picture 1).
Attached Thumbnails New style sea water pump-net1.jpg   New style sea water pump-net2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Registered

The worst part is to remove the screws retaining the two hoses behind the pump. I know that some mechanics removed the fuel/water separator assy to do so. NO WAY for me... I don't wanna mess with gas!

You'l need PLENTY of small tools to get you there. I used a very small box wrench and PATIENCE!

Once you are there, take the time to tighten all the clamps you can find on the engine ( mine were all loose including the ones on the sea water pump! )
Attached Thumbnails New style sea water pump-net3.jpg  
Old 04-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Registered

The pump came out on her bracket. Two retaining nuts were removed off the engine. The merc's exploded view did'nt really help me. You'l found them easily. You'l notice that the sea water pump bracket sits behind the idle pulleys bracket and shares a boat with it. Which means that I had to remove it (there is another retaining bolt on top of the idle pulleys bracket)
Attached Thumbnails New style sea water pump-net4.jpg   New style sea water pump-pump-assy.jpg  

Last edited by JS232; 04-23-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: New style sea water pump

Just so you guys can benefit a little from our expierences. Be careful when you replace the impellor only in the new 496 raw water pump. The impellor has a tendency to groove the cover quite a bit and as soon as its fairly considerable, the water pressure starts to drop off quite a bit. If you want to save some money versus buying a new pump and this is the problem, take the cover to a good welding shop, have the cover brazed back thicker and then resurface it and you've still probably saved yourself about $300 bucks! Just a tip.

Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BAJA H2X 99
Has anyone taken apart new syle all brass housing sea water pump? One with single point drain system. Have 496 HO's closed cooling system. Tried to start up boat with water hose. Found that it was not pumping any water. After taking apart to replace impeller found the brass housing was badly worn. This is a 2005 boat with 98 hours. Has anyone else run into this problem? Maybe no one has noticed because of running while in water.
What kind of water do you run your boat on? Salt, fresh, river, lake, muddy, clear, etc.?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dixie Doug
That pump should still be under warranty.We have seen this before ,See your dealer.
What kind of water have the boats been run on that experience this fast pump wear out problem? Salt, fresh, river, lake, muddy, clear, etc.?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GOODT
very common see it all the time
What kind of water have the boats been run on that experience this fast pump wear out problem? Salt, fresh, river, lake, muddy, clear, etc.?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by JS232
Job done!

Here are some shots of the disassembled pump... I was wondering about the Housing shape (Elliptic form). Apparently, it's the original design. I found very light worn on the back late (like you'l find on a disk brake rotor) I decided to leave it like that. After 200 hours, the impeller was in PERFECT shape except it had lost some of it's original flexibility(picture 1).
What kind of water do you run your boat on? Salt, fresh, river, lake, muddy, clear, etc.?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Fresh and clear.

Quick Reply: New style sea water pump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.