Steering add on or full sytem? >

Steering add on or full sytem?

Notices

Steering add on or full sytem?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Steering add on or full sytem?

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
If you have the extra $ go for it. If not the add on system should be plenty safe.
Based on my personal experience I have to disagree,My boat (a 2000 baja 272) when I first added the procharger and a nosecone chinewalked BAD to the point where it was dangerous.Now maybe the nose cone which might not even be needed at those speeds was the culprit but I never removed it to find out.It ran 62 mph stock with mpi 502 and low to mid 70's with 6 psi boost. The speed it chinewalked at was between 70-75 mph,especially once you were no longer accelerating. I first added Imco twin ram external hydraulic steering with the brazil valve cable adapter thinking thats all it needed.The boat had less than 100 hours on it so cable was still nice and tight,not worn or sloppy. It cut the chinewalk to 1/2 of what it was but it still got really ugly between 72-75 mph to the point where it was still out of control. Reading Teauges tech advice I saw where he said you should never run just external hydraulic when running a nose cone on a bravo. I called him up and he said even though you would think the twin rams would be holding the drive solid the fact it was being actuated and controlled by the stock internal bilge ram and cable brazil valve adpter deal it would still allow drive to move around while hauling arse.Running a 4 blade prop (which is needed on a boat like this when adding all the torque from the blower) makes it worse also.I was skeptical thinking it was just a nasty characteristic of the Baja 272 hull but I went ahead and added the full to helm parts making mine full hydraulic. About this time I also upped my power allowing me to run in the low to mid 80's. The boat was rock solid all the way thru the 70-80 mph range and only had a ever so slight ,slow chinewalk that you could barely notice unless catching alot of cross chop,Smitty
Old 04-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine
If you have the extra $ go for it. If not the add on system should be plenty safe.
I agree w/you MM...that's from my personal experience and just my opinion of course...every boat is different.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Previous boat had the dual Lathem add-on. Boat would run 83mph and solid as a rock. Only down side was at idle the steering was bit stiff. Normal side effect of add-ons.

You can alway upgrade at a latter date.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Previous boat had the dual Lathem add-on. Boat would run 83mph and solid as a rock. Only down side was at idle the steering was bit stiff. Normal side effect of add-ons.

You can alway upgrade at a latter date.
EXACTLY!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an add-on...Striped the helm unit out after running hard in big water.
Damn lucky we had just stopped...I'll never be without FULL again
Old 04-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with Smitty, I bought my boat(also a 272) running in the low 80's w/o hyd steering. I didn't know any better at the time and dodged a major bullet. I started with an add on but it was squirrelly as hell. Put the full on and feel alot safer. My buddy has a Nordic running in the 80's w/no hyd and I won't ride with him. If something breaks going that fast you ARE toast!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=carrboy]I agree w/you MM...that's from my personal experience and just my opinion of course...every boat is different.[/quote
Talking SPECIFICALLY about Baja 272's -Me and Kennyo both tried external hydraulic steering on our 272's and they were still out of control. Maybe a better boat would be fine but I wouldn't waste my time with the add-on external steering on this particular hull,IT'S JUST A WASTE OF TIME-IT WILL STILL CHINE WALK,272 Bajas NEED FULL HYDRAULIC TO NOT CHINE WALK IN THE 70-80 mph range,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 04-04-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Registered

Artic
Thanks for the info I am looking at buying a full systems. Any thoughts on manufacturer? I saw the picture of your trim tabs. What are the measurements and gauge of the tabs?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Registered

One other thing. single or duel rams?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lt for Life
One other thing. single or duel rams?
I am using twin ram hydraulic imco steering. I don't have any personal experience with the single ram. These boats were never intended to run 75 or 80 mph so if you do it I would say to use the twin rams because you will be fighting a battle to keep boat under control. As far as the trim tabs,mine are about 21 inches long but I made them out of stainless (thinking it would be pretty stout) and they come to a tapered point. If I had it to do over again I'd use 3/8 inch or 1/2 inche aluminum plate or buy some,when I welded mine they warped and I flattened them out afterwards using a hydraulic press and a sander but they are still kinda cobbled,Smitty