Steering add on or full sytem? >

Steering add on or full sytem?

Notices

Steering add on or full sytem?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering add on or full sytem?

I am looking to add a Procharger M1 to my 1999 Baja 272 Islander with a 454mpi. I have been told that I should upgrade my stock steering system to handle the new power. Will an add on system suffice or should I spend even more money and by a full system?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: Steering add on or full sytem?

I would suggest spending the money wisely the first time and going for the full dual ram system. Safety should be #1 priority before making power. You wont be sorry or believe the difference from your stock cable system. The biggest hurdle I had when upgrading to a hydraulic helm was getting the helm in there. It was tight, I lost alot of blood, but I got it done.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt for Life
I am looking to add a Procharger M1 to my 1999 Baja 272 Islander with a 454mpi. I have been told that I should upgrade my stock steering system to handle the new power. Will an add on system suffice or should I spend even more money and by a full system?

Thanks in advance
I also have a Baja 272 (closed bow) with serious hp. Don't even waste your time with the external hyd steering,go full to the helm. My boats a 2000,the external hyd slowed the chinewalk down between 70-75mph but it was still there. When I went full to the helm it was 95% eliminated. A nose cone also seems to double the chinewalk.Your boat probably runs about 60-62 (on gps) right now and will run about 70-74 with the procharger depending on how much boost you give it.If your buying the procharger new pay extra for the aw504 innercooler,you won't be sorry. the aw324 will fit (tightly) between the back seat and the motor but will make working on anything impossible. The aw504 MUST be mounted off to the side,don't waste your time trying to mount it between the seat and motor,it will not fit no matter what you do aside from serious hacking.Don't waste your time with any 3 blade props when testing,just won't work period. 99 % sure you'll need 26 pitch 4 blade,24 pitch won't be enough and 28 pitch will just be too much with only a mag 454 and m-1. My original blower motor (merlin headed 502 with procharger m-3) wouldn't pull a 28 pitch until I turned the boost up to 6-8 psi.I could write a book on hopping up a 272 baja,mine currently runs 93 mph and should run 95 to 97 if I can afford shorter lower and or ext box this year. Call me if you need any other info,I been there and done that when it comes to your hull,Smitty
989-823-7319 4 pm -12 pm daily
Attached Thumbnails Steering add on or full sytem?-boat-90-mph-026.jpg   Steering add on or full sytem?-picture-2-010.jpg  
Old 03-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered

Artic

Thanks for the advise! I am new to the performance oriented boating world. I looked at closed bow models but with a young growing family and the fact that I never used the cuddy on my Rinker 232 we decided to go with the bow rider. I am happy so far but like everyone am now looking for some more speed aka fun.

I guess the blower will have to wait. Family safety is more important than speed.

Thanks again
Chad
Old 03-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You should also replace your trim tabs with longer ones. I made my own because I'm cheap. Your hull will get its best speed when trimmed really high when bow "loosens" up which will amplify the chinewalk. The 4 blade prop also amplifys the chinewalk and torque steer. When I was first running 6 psi boost on my 502 I tried everything from 25 pitch 3 blade to 28 pitch 4 blade. With the blower and 272 hull all the 3 blades would break loose at just about any speed,even at 50-60 mph. With 4 blade you could STAND on throttle coming onto plane as your prop centerline is almost 8 inches below pad on the hull.Like I said,call me if you have ANY questions,I spent last 6 years experimenting with same hull as yours,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Steering add on or full sytem?-oil-lines-027.jpg   Steering add on or full sytem?-scan.jpg   Steering add on or full sytem?-boat-90-mph-025.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 03-31-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Registered

Smitty,

You have any pictures of the home made tabs.....could you e-mails some pictures of them

[email protected]
Old 04-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by vandeano
Smitty,

You have any pictures of the home made tabs.....could you e-mails some pictures of them

[email protected]
If you look in the corner of this pic you can see it and get a idea of what I did. They bolt in place of the bennets using the stock rams and half the hinge plate. I would just buy some better aftermarket ones if I had it to do over again. If I get out in the big barn this weekend I'll try to take a clearer pic,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Steering add on or full sytem?-race-day-2-071.jpg  
Old 04-01-2006, 03:37 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Arcticfriends, its always great to read about all the neat work that you´ve done to max out your 272. The experience that you have collected taking a hull and making it faster and faster each year is the best. 93 mph is a big number for any 27 footer and you must have the fastest 272 out there.
If everything arrives as planned , after the easter weekend I will be installing the 525 in my Outlaw, along with a 12"( with 3" lift) Imco extension box and full hydraulic steering. I´m replacing my 19" Insta Trim/Victory tabs with 24" EMI billet tabs with indicators. The reaction speed is the main reason for the upgrade. Good tabs and steering are so important, already at 75 mph.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you've had full hydraulic steering you'll NEVER be happy with cable steering again.
I talked a guy into adding Mayfair steering to his 38' TopGun to the tune of about $5,000. I told him if he didn't think it was the best money he EVER spent on his boat that I would pay for the steering myself. (I never was asked to pay him one penny!).
Old 04-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Registered

If you have the extra $ go for it. If not the add on system should be plenty safe.

Quick Reply: Steering add on or full sytem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.