#6 transmission options? >

#6 transmission options?

Notices

#6 transmission options?

Old 04-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #6 transmission options?

When switching over from a bravo style setup to a #6 dry sump drive.What options do I have for transmissions? Huber and the torque flights,are there any more?I'm trying to find the shortest trans setup possible.I need a setup that will move the motor forward the minimal amount.Any idea how far forward the motor needs to go,12in maybe?Any ideas?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: #6 transmission options?

Call Bam Marine for the transmission. You will have to move the engine at least 12" forward and the engine will have to be rasied also. The transom will have to be reworked,different tail pipes etc.....
I looked into this for my boat and it didn't make sense to do it on mine.I am retrofitting to the Konrad Ace drives now. Doller Offshore is doing the work. They can get you the Bam transmissions also.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am pretty sure the engine only moves forward 9.5" to go with a #6 close couple. If you want a higher propshaft dimension (likely, but someone should go through the numbers for your boat), it can get a bit messy. What you need to know is what drives do you have now, shorty or not, extension box or not. Then compare the 6 dimensions (and cutout!). The 6 propshaft is already just over 1" higher than a short sportmaster. You could get lucky and go up just enough that the tailpipes would line back up after moving them forward. You could also just live with a less than optimum height, but if I were going through the work, I would do it right. BAM would probably be able to help you out on what parts you would need.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two different set ups with trannies, driveline and plug in. Plug in have a tailshaft bolted to the tail of the trannie ( no drive shaft ) this keeps your motor closest to the transom. This tailshaft goes directly into the transom assembly.Sounds like what your are looking for, only down side is you have to pull the motor to change the Trannie.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Registered

On the plug in types,how far forward does the motor need to go.I dont really have any room to raise the motor either,if I did it could only go 1-2in max.

Bam's are the 2 speed trannys?The hubers are single speed,correct? Or is that completely wrong all together? I need the shortest combination available to replace my bravo1 setup.