oil filters....

Notices

oil filters....

Old 04-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil filters....

Helped a friend of mine put his rebuilt BBC in his Nova a couple of winters ago. We were going to run engine for 20 mins. to break in solid cam and lifters. When we primed engine, oil pressure gauge would not read any more than 15 pounds. Swapped pressure guage and got same result. We scratched our heads a bit and decided that maybe our drill motor was not strong enough to get the pressure up. Started engine and again low pressure so we shut it down right away. Called engine builder and he was just as dumbfounded as we were and said to bring engine to him for inspection. So we pull the engine out of the car again and take it to engine builder later in the week. None of his drill motors could get pressure up beyond 15 psi either with yet another guage used. Oil pan was pulled to verify no damage to bearings and to inspect pickup. All that checked out so we remove oil pump and submerge in drain pan full of oil to verify its operation and it worked perfectly. Everyone is standing around looking at each other trying to figure out what next as we new oil gallery plugs were not the issue. Then the guy in the shop that always gets flack because he is a Mopar guy says did you guys try another filter. Everyone looked at each other like, yeah right, cussed at the guy a couple of times and then we decided what the hell lets try it. Put pump and pan back on, swapped filter, put oil back in and immediately got 80 psi when priming.

There was about 10 of us in the shop that night and not one of us had ever had a problem with an oil filter. The filter that was defective was a Wix. Do I think that Wix is junk now? No, but I do know that although it is rare, a defective filter is possible. The worst part of this experience was that I had half a case of brand new filters on the shelf in my garage for the boat and if we had changed it at the start of this nightmare, we could have saved about 30 hours of time and been doing burnouts 2 weeks earlier.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered

absolutely no argument with any of this.... but would really like to see something authoratative about this collapsing element from somewhere because , if true, that is a real issue and would like to know the hows and whys... IF for instance collapse cause by filter material then thats a useful piece of information to fold up and put in your pocket for some other day...

serious question.... why do you think marine oil filters have to be different than automotive filters ? in my eyes we have same pressures/temps/ level of abuse or not as the case may be....

re " defective " filter.... you don't think that the gasket/lower housing collapsed far enought so that some part of the filter base just leaned on the bypass ball enough to lift it off its seat do you ?

pat... feel free to email me that report if you can pull it back up somehow... would really like to see it.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
absolutely no argument with any of this.... but would really like to see something authoratative about this collapsing element from somewhere because , if true, that is a real issue and would like to know the hows and whys... IF for instance collapse cause by filter material then thats a useful piece of information to fold up and put in your pocket for some other day...

serious question.... why do you think marine oil filters have to be different than automotive filters ? in my eyes we have same pressures/temps/ level of abuse or not as the case may be....

re " defective " filter.... you don't think that the gasket/lower housing collapsed far enought so that some part of the filter base just leaned on the bypass ball enough to lift it off its seat do you ?

pat... feel free to email me that report if you can pull it back up somehow... would really like to see it.
Steve,I see your back making friends . I have never experienced a filter so bad a motor went from having normal oil pressure to near zero either but I have seen links (I think on hydros oil thread) to other websites where oil filters have been tested for flow (gpm),filtration ability (some filter as low as 5 microns others as high as only 35 pr 40), outer shell construction (thickness of shell,some are real thick and won't burst until 550 psi,others are flimsy) and internal construction (some have anti drainback valves,some don't,others have internal bypass valves,some don't,some have synthetic media,some have really cheap paper media,some even have cheap cardboard gaskets inside them others rubber,etc,etc). What I have seen out of all of this is some claims that certain cheap fram filters and a few others use supposedly substandard construction methods where a small amount of moisture can drop the flow capabilitys considerably combined with the fact the filter doen't have a internal bypass valve and cause a serious drop in oil pressure under less than ideal conditions. Because I don't run any kind of bypass valve in my oil system on my boat and I get considerable amounts of condensation in my motor due to running fairly rich and fairly cold block temps I use the data and testing others have published to choose a filter that will work the best for my application. I ALWAYS use either a fram hp style racing filter or k&n filter because the gpm rating far exceeds what my pump puts out and they both publish the fact that they contain a bypass valve and have a heavy shell.Their filtration capabilities are not as good (15-20 microns)as other more" stock style" filters but most filters don't have a built in bypass valve.I have seen shells deformed on cheap filters on motors that run 80 psi cold immediately after startup until oil warms.
I also built a pontiac 400 motor when i was a teenager for a tran-am that spun rod bearings because of a combination of wrong oil filter for the application and a combination of other factors. Pontiacs need a higher volume oil pump than stock to support higher rpm's etc,when you do this and use a stock filter block adapter the oil bypass stays open almost constantly resulting in un-filtered oil due to the inability of a stock filter to flow enough oil. The answer is to plug the stock filter housing bypass valve and use a good flowing oil filter with a built in bypass valve,preferably longer than stock so it has enough increased filter area so as to not open the bypass except maybe when oil is very cold. Reading all this back then I went ahead and did it,what I didn't do was re-locate the oil pressure sender that read off the INLET side of the filter to the oil gallery on the block (first mistake). Next mistake occured when I ran out of the longer built in bypass valve oil filters I had ordered thru the mail. They were somekind of hasting premium or something. Next mistake was going to a local hotrod shop and letting the counter guy sell me a stock length "high perf" filter that had no bypass valve (he swore they all have a bypass valve and that I was just wasting my money). Put filter on and oil pressure looked great,in fact it was actually a little higher than before. Within 50 miles motor started rod-knocking, but still had great oil pressure. Before pulling motor out I installed a seperate mechanical gauge reading off the oil gallery. When you revved up the motor block pressure would drop to half at block (like to 30 psi) but gauge reading off filter housing would stay at 75 psi. It was a heart breaking mistake at the time but I learn from my mistakes . Since then I am extra fussy about what I use for filters on anything. Will a cheap, oem equivilant filter cause problems on a stock motor,no,unless from a fluke you some how get one built defectively. But,as with anything,once you start modifying things you need to be sure of how everything will work together. I'm sure I didn't bring up anything you (steve xsm) weren't already aware of but just sharing for some of the others out there still learning,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails oil filters....-oil-lines-006.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 04-13-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Geez, and I actualy started reading this thread!! Thank goodness I came to my senses and realized it was good for something... post count boost by 1.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: oil filters....

If you need big big flow Fram Racing is the only way to go.

If you can sacrifice a bit of flow for added filtration then K&N is a great choice.

If you want decent flow and better filtraiton still.. then Wix Racing is the one.

For maximum filtration at the sacrifice of some flow then Mobil-1 or Amsoil is the way to go.

If you want very good flow and filtration and CHEAP go A/C Duraguard it can't be beat.

The best of both worlds may be a dual filtration system...as it can add an extra quart too!

my .02

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-13-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also had friends that had the defective Fram, I guess they colasped ,Who knows ?To me its not worth taking a chance . I guess with all manufactors you can come across a bad filter. I still like the Wix racing filter.

I would think a marine filter should be better suited for water over a car. I know on my race car it never gets hot enough to burn off the condesation.I would like a filter that could acept a higher precntage of moister. if waterclogs the filter making it bypass?

Heres a pick of the Wix on the Hustler and my Camaro valve cover full of water just from sitting

Rob
Attached Thumbnails oil filters....-chevelle-1-9-06-038-medium-.jpg   oil filters....-camaro-11-05-055-medium-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.