377 Scorpion Motor??

Notices

377 Scorpion Motor??

Old 04-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 377 Scorpion Motor??

On second thought you should put that in my Donzi. It is a much better platform then that Cruiser that you have
Old 04-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
I am currently installing Scorpion engines in my Formula 292 Fastech. I got some information in a PM last year from fellow OSO member Bikini Bottom, and I hope Ken doesn't mind me quoting him:
Quote start:

I replaced the manifolds with Stainless Marine performance manifolds. This winter I'm going to have the ECUs reprogrammed and get new flame arrestors.
Quote end.

Based on this info from Bikini Bottom I decided to buy a Formula 292 without engines installed, and with 2 new in crate Scorpion engines. Looking at the performance numbers I think there is more than a 30 HP difference (350-320) between the Scorpion and the standard 6.2 litre. But that is just my opinion based on the performance numbers on a Formula 292 Fastech. I have no dyno numbers to back up that claim.
Brian
Do you know if the Stainless Marin manifolds go straight on whitout re-mapping the injectionsystem?
Or are the re-mapping of the ECU a direct action due to this?

What flame arrestor did he go for?

Keen on knowing.

Regards fm Sweden.

Ricky.
www.smuggler.se
Old 04-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smuggler28
Do you know if the Stainless Marin manifolds go straight on whitout re-mapping the injectionsystem?
Or are the re-mapping of the ECU a direct action due to this?

What flame arrestor did he go for?

Keen on knowing.

Regards fm Sweden.

Ricky.
www.smuggler.se
Nice to see some people from Scandinavia on OSO.
I do believe that the Stainless Marine manifolds can be installed without remapping the ECU, but may be better performance can be gained by remapping the ECU. I don't know what flame arrestor he decided to go for.
I guess we have to ask Bikini Bottom (Ken) to step in here and answer your questions :-)
I replied this morning to an email I received from Ken telling him that I quoted him on this thread. So he will probably check it soon and reply to your questions.
Brian
Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
Nice to see some people from Scandinavia on OSO.
I do believe that the Stainless Marine manifolds can be installed without remapping the ECU, but may be better performance can be gained by remapping the ECU. I don't know what flame arrestor he decided to go for.
I guess we have to ask Bikini Bottom (Ken) to step in here and answer your questions :-)
I replied this morning to an email I received from Ken telling him that I quoted him on this thread. So he will probably check it soon and reply to your questions.
Brian
Thanks for the welcome Brian.
And thanks for the answer to.

I still got at couples of weeks before the boat goes in to the water with the new Scorpion 377 and it should be very interesting to see the result with the the new engine since the old engine was a ordernary 5,7/260hp.

Du you know the reason for the waterhose and thermostat problems on Bikin Bottom:s 377?

Ricky.
www.smuggler.se
Old 04-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smuggler28
Thanks for the welcome Brian.
Du you know the reason for the waterhose and thermostat problems on Bikin Bottom:s 377?
Ricky.
www.smuggler.se
No actually I don't. It does sound a bit strange, but I guess anything can happen. Ken will hopefully answer this question too.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Registered

Sorry guys been a bit busy lately.

The Stainless Manifolds went on without any ECU remapping and it runs fine w/o it. It does smoke a bit more and leaves more soot on the stern that's why I'm remapping the ECUs. I hope to get full combustion and a few more RPMs on top. I haven't ordered the flame arrestors yet but they are standard carb style round arrestors.

The thermostat issues were a pain but in the end, I had a bad thermostat that caused overpressure in the cooling system. After chasing a surging temp problem for half the season, I ended up replacing both stats at the end of last season. Temp stabilized and no leaking issues. I thought originally that I had sucked up some mud/debris and that was causing cooling problems but after back-flushing both motors (port twice to no avail) and replacing the port stat with a spare from the local shop, I still had a temp fluctuation issue so I ordered two new Thermostats from BAM...problem solved.

I have loved the motors, they run great cruise well and spin really nicely WOT. Let me know what you guys think after they're in.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Registered

Hi Bikini Bottom an thanks for your reply.

My 377 is now installed in the boat and started, im hopeing to put the boat in the water in a couple of weeks and start propp-testing.

Really look forward to see what the little bigblock wannabee can do.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I see on the merc spec sheet they are showing 969 lbs?,that must be including the outdrive and transom assembly,can't imagine a sbc even fully accessorized weighing anywhere close to that,Smitty
Old 06-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Registered

The Smuggler 28 is now in the water and the Scorpion 377 has run for about 20 hours.

Im still in progress of testing propps etc but i must say that the little 377 is a real piece of art.

The Smuggler 28 weighing about 2300kg now runs 48 knots and the torque of the little 377 is really impressing.

The engine tops out at 5100rpm with full petrol tank and fully loaded boat.

Im running a Volvo duopropp-drive witch is propably not the most effishient drive and the propp-range for these drives is a bit limited.
Last run was with the biggest props avalible for this drives and those ones are right now at the prop-shop for modifying, plan is to try to take rpm down 200-300rpm to give som extra thrust.
If this does not work satisfying i think i go for a new Bravo1 drive for the next summer instead.

Really impressing litte engine the 377.

Ricky
www.smuggler.se
[email protected]
Old 06-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bikini Bottom
Sorry guys been a bit busy lately.

The Stainless Manifolds went on without any ECU remapping and it runs fine w/o it. It does smoke a bit more and leaves more soot on the stern that's why I'm remapping the ECUs. I hope to get full combustion and a few more RPMs on top. I haven't ordered the flame arrestors yet but they are standard carb style round arrestors.
Did you noticed any gain in horsepower/rpm after installing the Stainless marin headders and remapping ECM??

How mouch are the upgrade supposed to give?

Ricky.
www.smuggler.se
[email protected]

Quick Reply: 377 Scorpion Motor??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.