Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Correct way to install gas tank? >

Correct way to install gas tank?

Notices

Correct way to install gas tank?

Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Correct way to install gas tank?

That Rhino lining coating the tank seems to be a good idea! I'm gonna call around (wellcraft, outerlimits, etc.) to see if my strap idea is still usable.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Registered

I removed all the wood stringers and bulkheads and transom. The foam allowed water to get to all the wood and rotted them. One section of stringer was 3/4"X 12"X 8' and it weighed 50 lbs from all the water weight. The gas tank was set on 1/4" X 2" X 12" HDPE and glued to the hull. The stringers were custom fitted to the gas tank with wood blocks screwed to the stringers to hold the tank in place.

Once water gets into a foamed in compartment it will never dry out. I'll never use foam in a boat.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Registered

The way we install most tanks is.

The tank gets epoxy coated by the tank builder and has bolting tabs welded to the tank to fit to the stringers.

The bottom of the tank is built to fit and be supported as evenly as possible on the inside of the hull.

Use strips of neoprene rubber gluded to the tank with the correct mastic, NOT 5200. Make sure the strips are placed in such a way not to trap water and use the mastic to around the edge of the strips to create a bevel so no water gets trapped on the hard edge.

Make sure the tank is resting flush (no rocking, no hard spots). Drill and tru blot the mounting tabs to the stringers.

If the hull shape allows you can place some PVC from the front bulkhead to the rear bulkhead limber holes under the tank and make sure it's sealed at the bulkheads to allow water to run from one compartment to another under the tank.

It's a cost effective and secure way to go. If done correctly you shouldn't have any water issues. If I can find them I can post some pictures.

It's late and been a long day. I hope this makes some sense and helps.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

I called Wellcraft and talked to an engineer. He said my stainless strap idea would put way too much stress on the tank. He said to foam it in, and to keep it from being pushed up while pouring, have a board in the front and back clamped to the stringers holding it down. Fountain is also foaming the tanks in. Catagory 5's way w/the rubber seems good- no foam to soak up water. What kind of adhesive (mastic) do you suggest? Cat 5, I'd love to see those pics if they are handy!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes,
that response from Wellcraft does'nt surprise me at all...even support is critical.

The problem we are now experiencing , I believe , stems from the fact that the tanks were never properly coated for the long run rather than actually being foamed in. Admittedly , wet foam can be a PITA for stringers that may have been glassed over in a questionable way , but it was'nt in my case (luckily).

It would be good to see some pics to clearly understand what Cat5 is referring to.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Registered

I'll dig them up tomorrow and post them late tomorrow night.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am one of the Donzi Nets emotional tank guys, there a arguments in several directions. Most of the noise about the tanks was about un-coated tanks that only lasted 20-30 years. My new tank was Chromated to death and had two coats of Epoxy tar and yes foamed which makes it part of the boat. I wish I had had the fore thought about Rhino Liner which was brought up on the D board and here, I have in and on my truck that would be the ultimate coating.

Phil
Old 05-03-2006, 10:39 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use 4lbs foam it is way supirior to the 2lbs used by most manufacturers.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Registered

Thanks Cat5 I'm looking forward to those pics!!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Registered

sorry thought i had some better pics but hope these help.

We did not order this tank so I was not happy with the fit you might notice the shims on the one side. This was the only way we could get the tank to sit and be evenly supported.
Attached Thumbnails Correct way to install gas tank?-25-sea-master-tank.jpg   Correct way to install gas tank?-25-sea-master-tank-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Correct way to install gas tank?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.