incorrect timing cause water reversion >

incorrect timing cause water reversion

Notices

incorrect timing cause water reversion

Old 05-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default incorrect timing cause water reversion

Just put distributor back in . 30 minutes running time and realized timing light was faulty. New light corrected timing,timing was off about 15 degrees. Can this cause water reversion ?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Default Re: incorrect timing cause water reversion

i highly doubt it
Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it can affect it. It depends which way the timing was off. More advance at idle causes the following conditions:
1) Smaller throttle opening for equivalent idle speed resulting in higher manifold vacuum, which during cam overlap, causes more reverse pull on the exhaust.
2) Lower EGT temps measured at the exhaust ports. Not a direct reversion issue, but more temp vaporizes any water present.

Cam timing, overlap, and idle speed are by far bigger contributors to the possibility of reversion then timing at idle speed, but if already on the edge, it's worth taking a look at.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Falcon, Does this mean you can help lessen reversion by keeping idle speed up, programming (halltek fuel injection) a leaner fuel mixture at low rpm to increase egt, and trying to find a way to bleed off manifold pressure at idle? And is there any way to measure what the perfect idle speed would be to minimize reversion? Ratickle
Old 05-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Registered

Idle speed up, yes. Controlling both in gear and neutral idle speed is best.
Leaner fuel mixture, maybe, little if any misfiring is a must.
Bleeding off manifold pressure, ? what do you mean?
Idle speed, just trying it I guess. There may be others here that have more direct experience with specific cams that can help.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Registered

"1) Smaller throttle opening for equivalent idle speed resulting in higher manifold vacuum, which during cam overlap, causes more reverse pull on the exhaust."

I was wondering if it would be possible to bleed off manifold pressure at idle to eliminate all possible reverse pull on the exhaust. I know there would be some mixture issues etc. but on the Scorpion's 540's I have programmable fuel injection where I can compensate for almost anything on each individual cylinder. Just plug into the laptop, read egt, cam position, O2, etc. and adjust the fuel curve accordingly, then smooth out the individual cylinders for an average. Just curious of anything that allows larger cams for more power.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you guys are talking "manifold vacuum"... measured in inches of mercury...... not pressure.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered

Does manifold vacuum being high (at idle) cause a greater chance of reversion?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered

Intentional leak to reduce manifold vacuum = higher rpm, this is what an IAC (idle air control) does to adjust rpm, just like the throttle plates being opened to change "air" intake. If you let in more air to reduce vacuum, you have to compensate with more fuel which then equals higher rpm.

Second question relates back to my first answer, yes, but remember that this only a small part of the equation. Number 1, Cam!!! Number 2, Water, Where!! Number 3, Idle RPM! And last is timing, because it can help slightly with manifold vacuum during the overlap and it raises the egt to help vaporize remaining liquid H2O. If you have a reversion problem and changing cams isn't reasonable, raise idle speed, then look at timing at idle. If your engine has computer control, remember to also look at how it maintains idle speed in gear. Some can use ignition timing along with an IAC to control idle speed. Relying more on timing for low speed rpm control can also affect reversion.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Registered

'Bleeding' off manifold pressure is like creating an intake manifold leak which would cause a lean condition which would promote a backfire thru the carb which will suck exhaust gases(and water) back into the combustion chamber.

Worst possible thing to try to stop reversion.

Quick Reply: incorrect timing cause water reversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.