Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock >

Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock

Notices

Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock

Old 05-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock

Spun a rod bearing and crank needs turned. While engine is out I may as well get the full rebuild. Guesstimate on short block rebuild cost? Just so I know my builder is in the ballpark.

Any thoughts on upgrading to Keith Black pistons? This is a blower motor application.

Tim T.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock

DO NOT RUN KB hypereutectic (sp) pistons! its a cute name for cast junk!!! get some forged pistons, if your on a budget use speedpro/trw forged pistons or for a couple hundred more get je's, get the crank turned no more than 10/10 have the rods resized on the big end and have the small end set up for floating pin. balance the rotating assm. what is your shop wanting for a fresh short block?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there done that. I wish I took the advice of others and went with a new marine crate motor to begin with. You never know what other hidden damages there might be. With the high cost of 502 parts and time involved, Im going with the new marine crate 502. Especially now that spring is here. Totally down time a week at the most. Cost around 6K. Good luck with ever route you take.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered

I considered a new crate motor but for the less money I should be able to have a better engine built. I would pop for better bearings and pistons than what comes with the new crate motor.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't a crate motor come w/ JE pistons and forged crank. 502 crate
Old 05-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's a labor/machining price sheet based on $70 per hour labor rate from a local reputable machine shop that machines lots of engines destined for marine use. It lists all or most of the machining processes that your engine may need to under go for a rebuild. It should be in the ball park or at least give you a fair idea of what you should be spending for a rebuild by a reputable shop. (click to englarge photos)
Attached Thumbnails Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock-enginecomp-005.jpg   Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock-enginecomp-006.jpg  

Last edited by KAAMA; 05-10-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just finished three hp500s for a friends Fountain 42 and they were completely balanced and blue printed new arp rod bolts JE pistons reconditioned rods ground the cranks align honed the blocks parallel decked and bore and honed new cam bearings he got the cams and the new heads and had me assemble the heads and set the springs up the short blocks were $2500 machined and assembled each. Most importantly with the quality parts you need best of luck Laz
Old 05-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, is this your motor that had the knocking?
Old 05-11-2006, 05:30 AM
Registered

That was the knocker, all rod bearings were in pretty poor shape. Mains were OK and everything else looked pretty good. Good oil pressure at hot idle. Just too many hours. Should have run it 10 more hours last fall and I would be doing the rebuild over the winter rather than now.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
I just finished three hp500s for a friends Fountain 42 and they were completely balanced and blue printed new arp rod bolts JE pistons reconditioned rods ground the cranks align honed the blocks parallel decked and bore and honed new cam bearings he got the cams and the new heads and had me assemble the heads and set the springs up the short blocks were $2500 machined and assembled each. Most importantly with the quality parts you need best of luck Laz
Laz ... am I reading this right ? you did the machine work & assembly ... supplied the rod bolts and pistons .. for 2500.00 ?

Quick Reply: Approximate cost to rebuild BBC shortblock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.