Battery Switch Use in a Powerplay 33 >

Battery Switch Use in a Powerplay 33

Notices

Battery Switch Use in a Powerplay 33

Old 05-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Switch Use in a Powerplay 33

I posted this in the Powerplay forum, but thought there might be more activity here. Does anyone know how Powerplay set up their battery switches and the proper way to use the 1,2, Both, positions when running? I know in every other boat out there, it is recommended to run the boat with one switch on 1 and one switch on 2 (which runs each motor off it's own battery), unless you own a Cigarette. Cigarettes are wired so that with both switches on 1, each motor is powered off it's own battery. Does anyone know for sure on the Powerplays, or if there is a somewhat easy way to figure it out (without being an electrical engineer)?
Old 05-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Battery Switch Use in a Powerplay 33

If you have the standard PERKO brand switch, then the batteries are separated. Batt #1 could be your start battery while #2 could be the deep cycle house battery. Mine in the Formula is opposite, #2 is my starting batt.
If you had dual switches, one for each battery, then the cranking batt is used for just that- starting the engine. While the other battery handles everything else.
To charge your batteries off the engine you need to switch to each battery manually for a period of time. Unless you have a battery combiner/isolator then that device will charge the battery with the lowest voltage first then the other.
I try not to use the "BOTH" setting. If one battery is near dead, and you set it to "BOTH", the good battery will drain into the low one. If both batteries are fully charged you could use both to aid in starting the engine. It gives you more amperage.
A quick way to tell which battery is which number, turn one on, play the radio, then disconnect one battery to see if the radio dies. Either way, you'll know which one is which. The cranking battery should say starting or cranking on it. Cranking an engine with a deep cycle house batt is not good for it.

BTW never, ever, turn the battery switch to "OFF" while the engine is running. You'll blow the alternator. I know.
You can switch from one batt to the other, that's ok, but never to "OFF".
Old 05-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Iggy.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggy
If you have the standard PERKO brand switch, then the batteries are separated. Batt #1 could be your start battery while #2 could be the deep cycle house battery. Mine in the Formula is opposite, #2 is my starting batt.
If you had dual switches, one for each battery, then the cranking batt is used for just that- starting the engine. While the other battery handles everything else.
To charge your batteries off the engine you need to switch to each battery manually for a period of time. Unless you have a battery combiner/isolator then that device will charge the battery with the lowest voltage first then the other.
I try not to use the "BOTH" setting. If one battery is near dead, and you set it to "BOTH", the good battery will drain into the low one. If both batteries are fully charged you could use both to aid in starting the engine. It gives you more amperage.
A quick way to tell which battery is which number, turn one on, play the radio, then disconnect one battery to see if the radio dies. Either way, you'll know which one is which. The cranking battery should say starting or cranking on it. Cranking an engine with a deep cycle house batt is not good for it.

BTW never, ever, turn the battery switch to "OFF" while the engine is running. You'll blow the alternator. I know.
You can switch from one batt to the other, that's ok, but never to "OFF".
I don't think mine is how you describe. I had starboard switch on with starboard motor running and the port battery switch off and no power to the port ignition. There is not one battery for engines and one for electronics, I believe they are independent of each other and batter #1 is 1 specific battery and battery #2 is the other.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, running one engine with two batteries is what I described. Twin engines with two (?) batteries is different. In that case each battery is independent of the other. There should be three, possibly four, battery switches in this case. Each engine should charge it's own. How the rest of the electrics is wired and which battery (or both) is used to power the rest of the circuits could be different from make to make.
I would think that on a twin engine boat there would be at least three batteries. One each for starting and one deep cycle for the house.

The West Marine catalog and web site offers tips on connecting multiple batteries.
For a single engine with dual batteries they suggest using three battery switches, one OFF/ON switch for each battery and one three position switch to combine or isolate. The house battery is dedicated to handling everything but starting.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iggy
OK, running one engine with two batteries is what I described. Twin engines with two (?) batteries is different. In that case each battery is independent of the other. There should be three, possibly four, battery switches in this case. Each engine should charge it's own. How the rest of the electrics is wired and which battery (or both) is used to power the rest of the circuits could be different from make to make.
I would think that on a twin engine boat there would be at least three batteries. One each for starting and one deep cycle for the house.

The West Marine catalog and web site offers tips on connecting multiple batteries.
For a single engine with dual batteries they suggest using three battery switches, one OFF/ON switch for each battery and one three position switch to combine or isolate. The house battery is dedicated to handling everything but starting.
JROMY and myself have 2 engines with 2 batteries, 2 switches.