Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New oil cooler after flat cam - what about the lines? >

New oil cooler after flat cam - what about the lines?

Notices

New oil cooler after flat cam - what about the lines?

Old 05-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New oil cooler after flat cam - what about the lines?

So I flattened a cam lobe in my 454 mag.

I have a new Gen 4 496 stroker longblock built and was going to use some of the parts off my 454 to finish it (cooling, pullies, alt, sea water pump etc).

one of the items I WAS gonna use was the oil cooler/heat exchanger. Then I found the thread about it being a big no no.

What about the oil lines? If I get a new cooler, can I have the 454 lines "flushed"? If so, is there a certain process to follow or take them someplace?

I'm damn glad I stumbled on the oil coller thread!!!

thanks in advance
Old 05-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Registered

Default Re: New oil cooler after flat cam - what about the lines?

never reuse oil coolers and lines from any engine that has had metal in the oil, the particles get embedded in the hoses and no amount of flushing will remove them, once it comes up to temp the particles will come lose and destroy another engine, go to your local hydraulic hose shop(also some napa's) and have new hoses made- cost less than 150$
Old 05-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I was shocked, I went to my local deal to have them made.
$40 while I waited. They did use a couple connectors off the old hose. Like the cooler, it is not worth the time to mess around with them when you can get them new bolt them on and save the time for some thing else. Like drinking a cold beer
Old 05-17-2006, 08:45 AM
TC
Registered

Craig B, Let me save you some time and work. If your new 496 stroker is producing over 400hp your stock mag oil cooler will not cool the oil enough. I know this from experience as many others on this board do also. I built a 496 stroker last winter and have spent this winter upgrading my oil system and cooler. I had my doubts that the stock cooler would do the job but I had to see for sure. I did not have an oil temp gauge at that time but my oil would heat up after running above 4000rpm for any amount of time, thin down and show a loss in oil pressure. After a brief idle period or a few minute cruise through a "no wake" zone the oil would cool down and oil pressure would return to normal. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...stock+hardware

The above link is some great information from a board member that knows his stuff. This thread alone convinced me to upgrade my complete oil system. I replaced my block adapter, oil filter housing, cooler and lines with 12an and 3/4 full flow fittings. I am finishing up my install today and should be able to give it all a test this weekend.

Saw your post and had to reply. Hope I have not been to long winded. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help. Tony
Old 05-19-2006, 06:15 AM
Registered

what did you use for parts?? marine power makes an almost drop in combo cooler-oil and power steering-for 140$-i had the same problem w/ a pair of built 454's and it solved the problem without buying hi dollar coolers and it bolts in the stock location using the stock bracket, just shorten the front seawater hose and you're done on the cheap!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:50 PM
TC
Registered

Wow! Sounds like the price was right for that cooler set up. I used a 3" by 22" long thermostatically controlled combo cooler, new filter mount and new block adapter all from Hardin Marine and all with 3/4 npt connections. I'm sure this is over kill but I only wanted to deal with this oil temp situation once.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Registered

Thanks for the responses guys - I will be adding a larger oil cooler/power steering cooler with all new lines!