Fuel Gauge Problems >

Fuel Gauge Problems

Notices

Fuel Gauge Problems

Old 05-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Gauge Problems

I've had an intermittent fuel gauge issue since last year. Last summer the gauge was erratic at times and then ok for a while. Swapped Instruments last summer and still had intermittent problem. This year they don't work at all. Turn the ignition switch on and the needle comes off the peg but doesn't reach the (E)mpty despite having at least 3/4 full anks. The Rage has two tanks with an IMCO fuel switch. Neither gauge works. This weekend I borrowed by brothers multi-meter. I have twelve volts at the fuel tank selector switch on the dash and twelve volts at the terminal block on the fuel valve. Fuel valve operates normally. With the ignition on I read 7.4 volts at the lead for either/each tank sender on the wiring block on the valve and also at the sender connection on the gauge itself. I'm not well versed in electrical stuff and don't want to blow anything up. (me) Is there some way I can bypass the switch and try to connect directly to the tank. My guess is that 7.4 volts is low and there is a short somewhere. Should the positive lead to the tank be seeing a full 12 volts? I also thought about running a lead straight from the guage sender to the postive terminal on the sending unit. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

One more question. I have a little fuel on the inside of the IMCO fuel valve. Not really wet but enough to notice. Is this normal? Thanks.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 05-21-2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-21-2006, 08:41 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problems

Check the ground at the tank and make sure it is grounded properly, you should have one ground wire to a tang on the tank which is usually jumped to the sender, make sure both connections are good.

Phil
Old 05-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not have any fuel in the valve. Something is leaking if it's wet or you even smell fuel. That's bad!
Old 05-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Registered

Once you go over the wiring and if you still have a problem, pull the sender out of the tank and manually move the float up and down while taking a reading. I had my port tank last summer read just about empty and couldn't find any problem electrically. I pulled the float and the gauge started working again. Seemed float would somehow get wedged or stuck in the empty position.... I was going nuts thinking it was electrical... So, check and assure your float is not the problem. As for pulling it, be sure to have power OFF, remove screws and pull it out... very simple to check....

Agree... any gas around the valve or anywhere is not good!!! Fix or replace any fuel leakage issues.. vapors are lighter than air and will collect in the bilge.. not something to ignore..... Good luck!!!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Registered

Post Re: Fuel Gauge Problems

I removed the backing plate from the valve and there is a piece of foam between the actuator and the fuel manifold. It was wet with gas. Operated the valve and it leaked a small amount of gas as it switched positions. Going to replace that!

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 05-22-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Registered

I checked out all the wiring this evening. It's seems to point to the sending unit. I pulled the unit and when I manually moved the float the gauge would work! Re-installed the sending unit and the gauge wouldn't even reach the (E)mpty. I suppose the floats have become saturated and won't work properly. Both sending units during the same season? Seems odd.