496 fuel pump issue >

496 fuel pump issue

Notices

496 fuel pump issue

Old 05-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 430 Likes on 207 Posts
Default 496 fuel pump issue

The fuel pump on one of my new 496HO's has a strange problem during startup. When you turn on the igition to "on" but not "start", you can hear the fuel pump start up to pressurize the system but it doesn't cycle off after a few seconds. This is on my port motor. If the igition is left on without the motor starting the pump just will run on. It will start and run fine but something during the power up cycle is not shutting down the pump if the motor is not actually running.

My starboard motor works fine, you turn on the ignition, it cycles the pump and shuts down after a few seconds.

The motor itself runs fine so it doesn't appear to be affecting runability. My dealer replaced one of the solenoids on top of the motor that fixed the problem for a day. Now it has reappeared.

Any ideas other than having two bad solenoids in a row? I haven't swapped out that solenoid for a 3rd time yet. Or is there something that could be shorting out the circuit? There are no error codes stored in the ECM.

These are 2006 496 HO's with the newer "cool fuel" systems.

Thanks for the help!
Techman
Old 05-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 496 fuel pump issue

The symptoms sound to be ecm related. The ecm sends the 2 second prime signal to the fuel pump relay switch. All that switch does uses low voltage to switch on high voltage. Unless there is a wiring issue with the relay. How many hours are on your boat? For sheetz and grins make sure all the plugs are snapped in tight at the ecm, If one is not plugged in all the way or when they pushed the plugs in to lock then in one of the wires may have pushed backwards out of the plug.

Just a thought. Good luck!

John S.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 430 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Re: 496 fuel pump issue

Thanks for the tip, I'll triple check the wiring. The motors have 8 hours on them.