Mufflers-Ohio, Michigan, ? >

Mufflers-Ohio, Michigan, ?

Notices

Mufflers-Ohio, Michigan, ?

Old 05-28-2006, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Mufflers-Ohio, Michigan, ?

I had a post in the General about new Michigan proposed law on boat noise. One of the main issues, besides combining the worst of J34 and J2005 was the elimination of cutouts or bypasses. This is currently the law in Ohio and I want to know if they really do enforce this in Ohio? All three of our boats have bypass exhaust. One with Corsa, one with Lightning, and one with Gil. In Ohio do they write tickets if you pass the test with the mufflers being used but fail with the mufflers bypassed?
Old 05-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Re: Mufflers-Ohio, Michigan, ?

Ratickle, Thanks for posting the info on that other thread in the Gen discussion section. I think we all need to band together and let our elected officials at least know how the boating community feels on this new proposed watercraft noise law and keep them from passing the bill. They are only going to push for more, and more, and this is really beginning to become rediculas-----pretty soon we're ALL going to be outlaws!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:19 AM
Registered

I'm starting to think no one in Ohio ever got a ticket so bypasses don't matter. I have to modify the exhaust on the Black Thunder anyway so I am trying to find out what is the best bet so far. You can always beat a ticket if the technology doesn't exist to meet the standard but if they modify the law to make all bypass exhaust illegal, which looks likely, I'm currently thinking about GGB on the transom and some kind of insert inside where the Corsa CapCalls are currently. Running Eickert's almost dry now. Way loud open
Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run 645 h.p. Sterlings with CMI's and almost dry pipes (water enters at the tip outside the transom). Pretty loud so I was concerned about this also. I have asked Ohio DNR officers about this and they said they will test only if they have recieved complaints about your boat specifically. They leave the meter on the desk in the office and generally do not have it with them on routine patrols.

They generally are a pretty laid back group of guys unless you are doing something stupid or mouth off to them, then they are all business.

I am putting GGB Extreme mufflers on mine just to avoid the hassle.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I talked to a ODNR officer 2 weeks ago. The law currently states that all boats must have a muffling device. I asked "even if it didn't come that way from the factory?" He said yes. However, he said unless there was a complaint, they don't bother anybody about it. I think the test was less than 80db 10' from the transom at idle.
Scott
Old 05-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedDog382
I have asked Ohio DNR officers about this and they said they will test only if they have received complaints about your boat specifically.
They generally are a pretty laid back group of guys unless you are doing something stupid or mouth off to them, then they are all business.
I have the latest and greatest built in fixed muffler system from Stellings. Looks great and sounds better. They have taken all the bite and bark out of it but still makes a nice smooth loud purrrrr.

The people who are going be hassled are the ones running the shorelines, buzzing other boats and revving it up in Marinas. Use common sense when running your boat. They call these things Offshore's for a reason. To be used offshore. Sometimes pulling bow first into a dock may not seem like the coolest thing. But it is courteous to those at water front restaurants. Remember, to most people you are an unwanted element.

In high traffic marinas and channels I idle on one engine as much as practical when in Ohio.

I have talked to the DNR, local officers and the USCG during water and ramp checks. As long as they do not get a call they will not write a ticket or hassle you. Most of them like the sound as much as we do. They spend more time looking at the engines than # of life jackets, horns, oil placards etc.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone. Sounds like your officers are more like what we want than what we have. Any feedback from California? They have a similar law to what is being proposed here with the combined J34 and J2005. One for idle and one for the 25 meter pass.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If you do decide to go with mufflers , I just put on the CMI Sound Eliminator mufflers and I love them. Quiet at low speed then louder at WOT. Got them at Trick Marine.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:54 AM
Registered

This is a clipped section from the current Ohio law and a similar proposal for Michigan. The CMI's and Shotgun's would not be legal under this rule.

No person shall operate or give permission for the operation of a powercraft on the waters in this state that is equipped with an altered muffler or muffler cutout, or operate or give permission for the operation of a powercraft on the waters in this state in any manner that bypassed or otherwise reduces or eliminates the effectiveness of any muffler or muffler system.