Notices

HP 525 Oil Temp Problem, Again!

Old 05-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP 525 Oil Temp Problem, Again!

Hi Guys,

Have an oil temp problem with HP 525. Oil temp climbs right to ~300, Shut motor down at this point, Oil cooler was cold to the touch. This happened before. Had my Mechanic change engine oil and Filter (No shavings in oil), Changed Oil Thermostat, checked oil cooler for obstruction on water side. Motor oil pressure and temp fine .(Mercury Certified)Mechanic tested boat at WOT with no problems. I ran the boat yesterday at less than WOT for 10 minutes and oil temp kept right on climbing.

Calling Mercury Racing for advice, motor still under warranty.

I think mechanic should check entire oil flow system on the motor for possible obstruction. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks!

Mark
Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HP 525 Oil Temp Problem, Again!

Buy a THERMO GUN with a Lazer point. Just point the lazer at where you want to check temp. You'll get a digital reading of the temp. That's what I did. My oil temp would read 300+ with the sensor located in the oil pan. With the gun it read 225. I know you can't always depend on gun readings but I took other readings with it, and it was within 20 degrees of true reading. At least you can get a ballpark reading if it is actually 300 degrees
Old 06-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
Hi Guys,

Have an oil temp problem with HP 525. Oil temp climbs right to ~300, Shut motor down at this point, Oil cooler was cold to the touch. This happened before. Had my Mechanic change engine oil and Filter (No shavings in oil), Changed Oil Thermostat, checked oil cooler for obstruction on water side. Motor oil pressure and temp fine .(Mercury Certified)Mechanic tested boat at WOT with no problems. I ran the boat yesterday at less than WOT for 10 minutes and oil temp kept right on climbing.

Calling Mercury Racing for advice, motor still under warranty.

I think mechanic should check entire oil flow system on the motor for possible obstruction. Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks!

Mark
Do you boat in salt water? I have this same problem right now with my 525. I changed the oil t-stat, oil and filter and ran fine for 8 hours. Then the motor did the same as your oil temps. I took my oil to get tested and the oil was full of salt. This was clogging my filter and then causing the oil to bypass the oil cooler. I took my headers off last week and sent them to CMI. They are supposed to get them today. I am assuming they will be calling me this week to let my know there is a leak in the headers. If you only boat in fresh water you can probably disregard my ramblings.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
(Mercury Certified)Mechanic tested boat at WOT with no problems.

Thanks!

Mark
Suggestion... Have a ride w/ the mechanic ---- let him see it happen while you both are in the boat. I would also be on leaky headers. I have an '03 and replaced all 4 last winter....exxxxxpennnnnnsive compared to the E-Tops!

Joe
Old 06-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Joe
Suggestion... Have a ride w/ the mechanic ---- let him see it happen while you both are in the boat. I would also be on leaky headers. I have an '03 and replaced all 4 last winter....exxxxxpennnnnnsive compared to the E-Tops!

Joe
Where did you find to have the best price on new ones? I assume these were on a 525. Thanks
Old 06-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problems with the 525 headers in freshwater?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Where did you find to have the best price on new ones? I assume these were on a 525. Thanks

When "some" dealers buy their boats for staggered set-ups the engines come w/ the typical stock "turn-down" headers. When staggering a motor (or the center engine on triples), those headers don't work. They need the straight-back style (sorry for the lay terminology here). So, I found two pairs that way. Unfortunatly, the company asked me to keep their name confidential, as they were doing me a favor.

However, I did receive a call from Craig Berry, Innovation and a couple other folks (whom I can't remember off the top of my head) that have some laying around. Make sure you get 2005 or newer headers. Some people have the "older style" sport tubes laying around. Before 2005, I understand the headers had three welds inside the inner tubes - which, under salt water conditions, seem to let go fairly regularlly (which was the problem I had).

Normally, in my past experience, CMI always stands behind their product. However, in this instance, I was told by CMI that since Mercury put $$$ into their R&D, they can not deal, and they can only refer you to a retail dealer (which is nuts!).

Also, in conjunction to the R&D/retail issue, Mercury had the head bolt pattern changed so no other headers (other than these) will mount up to the 525/600EFI's, other than theirs. That's why Fred/Trick hasn't sold out of all of his, I would presume. We (Fred and I) tried to make it work, but couldn't get Mercury to budge on cutting the bolt patterns for us.

Hope this helps ~
Joe
Old 06-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Joe
When "some" dealers buy their boats for staggered set-ups the engines come w/ the typical stock "turn-down" headers. When staggering a motor (or the center engine on triples), those headers don't work. They need the straight-back style (sorry for the lay terminology here). So, I found two pairs that way. Unfortunatly, the company asked me to keep their name confidential, as they were doing me a favor.

However, I did receive a call from Craig Berry, Innovation and a couple other folks (whom I can't remember off the top of my head) that have some laying around. Make sure you get 2005 or newer headers. Some people have the "older style" sport tubes laying around. Before 2005, I understand the headers had three welds inside the inner tubes - which, under salt water conditions, seem to let go fairly regularlly (which was the problem I had).

Normally, in my past experience, CMI always stands behind their product. However, in this instance, I was told by CMI that since Mercury put $$$ into their R&D, they can not deal, and they can only refer you to a retail dealer (which is nuts!).

Also, in conjunction to the R&D/retail issue, Mercury had the head bolt pattern changed so no other headers (other than these) will mount up to the 525/600EFI's, other than theirs. That's why Fred/Trick hasn't sold out of all of his, I would presume. We (Fred and I) tried to make it work, but couldn't get Mercury to budge on cutting the bolt patterns for us.

Hope this helps ~
Joe
Thanks Joe,
The problem motor is a center motor on a 2005 47 Fountain. I wonder what Mercury dealer will give me the best deal if I have to buy new ones. Kind of nice of Mercury to have a monopoly on the that header. Mike
Old 06-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
Thanks Joe,
The problem motor is a center motor on a 2005 47 Fountain. I wonder what Mercury dealer will give me the best deal if I have to buy new ones. Kind of nice of Mercury to have a monopoly on the that header. Mike
Boy - I'd yell and scream w/ it being that new (especially being the newer style sport tubes). I remember how mad I was at the time... but, after a few good months of boating, when the boat's fixed, you'll forget all about it and shift your complaints back to either insurance or fuel prices! haha.

Post a pic of your boat...
Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Joe
Boy - I'd yell and scream w/ it being that new (especially being the newer style sport tubes). I remember how mad I was at the time... but, after a few good months of boating, when the boat's fixed, you'll forget all about it and shift your complaints back to either insurance or fuel prices! haha.

Post a pic of your boat...
They are supposed to get back with me. I am hoping they are going to fix them. I hear ya about insurance. It is pretty crazy down here in Florida right now. Check out these covers I just had made so the salt does not flow into the engine compartment when the boat is on the lift. Mike
Attached Thumbnails HP 525 Oil Temp Problem, Again!-dsc01340.jpg   HP 525 Oil Temp Problem, Again!-dsc01341.jpg   HP 525 Oil Temp Problem, Again!-dsc01339.jpg  

Quick Reply: HP 525 Oil Temp Problem, Again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.