trim wiring question 350 mag

Notices

trim wiring question 350 mag

Old 05-30-2006, 07:57 AM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim wiring question 350 mag

Ends up I have to trouble shoot the trim limit and associated wiring to resolve the "no up trim on throttle" problem..its .not the engine wiring harness like I previously thought. sory for the inconvenience.

Jim

Last edited by JGB; 05-30-2006 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Deleted first post cuz I appoached the problem from the wrong angle
Old 05-30-2006, 02:46 PM
JGB
Registered

Default Re: trim wiring question 350 mag

see above

Last edited by JGB; 05-30-2006 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Cuz I'm an idiot ;)
Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Registered

the two wires that you are talking about are for your trim gauge, if you dont have one on the boat then thats why they are not connected.....

there should also be two more wires comming from the transom with two of the same bullet conntors they are for your trim limit and should attach near the trim pump

there is no such thing as a trim limit ground but there is a ground for the trim gauge hook up

From your questions it is evident that you really should not be playing with your boat wiring and should find someone in your area that knows the systems, if not I think you will be doing some damage to the pcm which from the sounds of it is a pcm 555 which is not cheap

oh are you sure you have a 350 mag and not a 6.2

from what you are saying it sounds like a smartcraft mtr and I dont think merc made a 350 smartcraft just a 6.2 in the small block...but I could be wrong

just my two cents

Last edited by GOODT; 05-30-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
JGB
Registered

yeah I must admit from the sound of my post, I am not an electrical genius but I learn very fast and have done a good job with the electrical projects that I have tackled during this resto.

You were right the two wires i saw exposed where for the trim sender/trim guage. those are now connected appropriately. So my problem is still that the drive won't go up on the throttle trim switch...which is usually a trim limit issue...The reason I ask about the wiring of the trim limit is that I had a new trim limit installed about a year ago so I doubt the trim limit is bad and also the new engine was just recently installed so maybe the wiring got jumbled on the trim limit. there is no wear and the wires look good. Again I think it is the wiring of the trimlimit. My trim indicator works so If I could just set it up so the up trim will work on the throttle trim switch, I'll be fine. I believe some other posters in previous posts called it jumping the wire on the solenoid.

I know folks have done that on this board so I will search for posts that may have already touched on that,

BTW the engine is a merc 5.7 mpi 300hp.

Thanks for sharing your 2 pennies. Any little bit of info can sometimes help point me or someone else in the right driection.

Jim

Last edited by JGB; 05-30-2006 at 06:47 PM. Reason: grammer and spelling
Old 05-30-2006, 08:01 PM
JGB
Registered

well sometimes its the ends up being the easiest of solutions...the most obvious.....the ones I don't pay too much attention to until I am already totally frustrated. Problem solved it was the trim limit switch ...needed to be adjusted on the drive so it could make better contact..... doh!!!!!...a homer simpson moment.

Thanks

Jim
Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

hey man been doing this 25 yrs and sometimes I miss the oveous thats why when I get frusturated I call other friends in the buss to check what studid stuff I missed and they call me to do it for them, we call it the good old boy network,

its always easier looking in from the outside
Old 05-31-2006, 12:52 PM
JGB
Registered

yup, and the trim sender wasn't hooked up either....after a day at I figured it out...Also to my dismay I noticed that the deck, brand new windsheild and brand new int was covered in blue paint overspray...some of it came off when I had my guy buff it out but not all. maybe the next time it gets buffed the rest will come off.. the windshield got the worst of it. anyhow it's ready for the water and I am excited! I redid the teak also. looks good. I will shoot u some pics when I take em...Should be able to get it wet by this weekend. thanks for all your help.

Jim
Old 05-31-2006, 08:51 PM
JGB
Registered

I'm not sweatin it considering this journey. I haven't fired it up yet...maybe in the next couple of days....a lil apprehensive i must admit....but i sure as heck am ready to run this boat...my next and hopefully final task will be to evaluate the prop situation. then I hope I don't get the itch... hehehehehehe

Thanks Fred for everything
Jim