motor break in woes...Help!!! >

motor break in woes...Help!!!

Notices

motor break in woes...Help!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor break in woes...Help!!!

the boat is a formula 206 the motor is a 350 small block magnum...carbureted. I was breaking the motor in and it ran great for 30 minutes...then when bringing it back to idle it went a little low and it stalled...When i went to start it back up it made a weird grinding noise a scary noise that I was affraid of becusae of all these cam break in problems I hear about...well it started and ran again while trying to set the idle it went a little low again and stalled...when i trying to start it again it grinded alot this time...I am affraid to turn the motor over i think its jammed....what should i look for...I really worried i did damage...I hope I dont have to pull the motor again...please help!!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: motor break in woes...Help!!!

is it only grinding when the starter is engaged?
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered

it seems that way becuase once it started the first time after it stalled it seemed to run ok untill it idled to low and stalled again

now I dont' want to turn it over because it seems to grind very loud....the starter is tight!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Registered

Did you maybe forget a starter shim???? I'd look there if it only happens when your cranking the motor...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Registered

when i was first trying to get the motor before it ever fired up it was fine....then after running for half hour at at 2 thousand rpms i backed it down and it wanted to stall so I was trying to set idle rpm...it dropped a little low and stalled...it was when i then went to start it again that it grinded or made alot of weird noises like metal on metal
Old 06-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

It sounds like you are describing a starter issue. Can you be more specific? Better yet, can you take a short video of the problem and post it on Putfile or a similar host?? Hearing it would be alot easier to diagnose.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Registered

Did you maybe forget a starter shim???
some times you do need to shim the starter for correct engagement. didn't any shims come with your starter? you can get them at any auto parts store.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Registered

i think there were 2 different ring gears with different tooth counts for the sbc, i think thats why you need to shim the starter for one of them.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Registered

lesson: Pay someone to run it on the dyno and break the motor in, then you can be real compfortable with the motor, and when this sound happens it is either extrenal, or happens before install... I had to learn this the hard way too...
Old 06-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Registered

I am using the starter that I had with the old motor...which was pretty new. I never had to shim it, it alwasy worked fine. I will pull the starter tonight...is there anyway to check the flywheel to make sure its still tight? it a loud grinding noise, as soon as it started happening i didn't turn it anymore. I am trying to describe it better...the first time it was happening the motor would still turn over it just sounded like metal was grinding on metal while it was turning over...but then when it started all was quiet, i thought maybe it was out of time...it wasn't...The motor isn't missing at all. Then after the second stall I tried to start it again..worse grinding from flywheel, starter area...I hope its not internal in the motor.

Quick Reply: motor break in woes...Help!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.