Repossesing engine parts from marine mechanic

Notices

Repossesing engine parts from marine mechanic

Old 06-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Repossesing engine parts from marine mechanic

What is the best approach for handling this situation.

Blow engine memorial weekend of last YEAR. 3 weeks later the engine goes to builder for modification and dyno time. Here we are the same time next year and I still don't have a boat.

Engine builder completes work on engine in March or first of April of 06. Call marine mechanic and he said it would 3 weeks before he could get to me. After 3 weeks go by I start calling to see if marine mechanic is ready. HE won't return any of my phone calls. I keep calling but no return calls. I go to engine builder 2 days before memorial weekend this year and my engine is still sitting there. I ask him to call marine mechanic and he does. Marine mechanic answers phone and he talks with engine builder. From the phone conversation, he acted like he had no idea I was trying to get a hold of him. He tells the engine builder he would call me immediately and gives him my number to call. I tell the engine builder NOT to give my engine to the marine mechanic. This phone conversation was on thursday before memorial weekend. As of 06-12-06 the marine mechanic still does not call me. I call leaving a messege to box my things up and I'm coming to pick them up.

Less than 10 minutes later the marine mechanic finally calls back. Said he did not return my phone calls because he new I didn't want to hear that he still couldn't get to my boat. He also said he picked my engine up from the engine builder on this past saturday after I had told the engine builder not to give it too him! I called the engine builder and he said some how he miss understood me and when the marine mechanic showed up he thought we had worked things out and thats why he was there.

He said he had lost his shop and was working from his home. He continued by saying he had no EXCUSES!He said we could settle up and he would give me my stuff. I asked him what we were settling at? He said he had about 7 hours of his time in my engine. I asked him how he figured that? He said the time to take the engine and outdrive out of the boat and partially disassmble the engine . He also said he had to run to the engine builders shop a couple of times with his computer for the engine.

He told me if I give him 500 bucks we could call it even. Mind you I did not take the engine out myself, so how will I know he gives me everything to put it back together? Also I saw my battery cable was cut so he would not have to unbolt the cable from the starter! He also told me he cut one of the bolts on the engine mounts because the extra Whipple fuel system was in the way

I have always paid my bills with him on time and given him ample time to complete work on my boat , but I think I've been nice enough!! A year is way too long.

He is wanting 500 bucks for what he said he's done, but not including the things he's broke, its the principle of the issue. Not including me losing part of my boating season. The engine is complete except for the outside accessories and then there is the task of putting the engine back in my boat and bolting it all back in.

I was told with having a Stellings extension box ,aligning the engine would be easier than having to use an alignment tool for the outdrive? Not sure about this one.

I know I can get the engine back in the boat ,,I'm just concerned about making sure I have all the parts and the alignment right. Also having to buy another engine mount also. Then there will be the tuning for shifting it the boat in and out of gear with the Whipple on it. The engine was a stock motor with a Whipple on it before and now its a 509cid with different cam. On the dyno it idled fine , but I know I will have to adjust it once its in the boat.

Any input on handling this situation would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm hoping to beat our famous Texas boy with the CMI issue to the water!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Repossesing engine parts from marine mechanic

send a couple of big mofo's down to get you stuff. f him he's been screwing you, cut bolts and battery cables...wtf, i wouldn't let that douche bag touch your boat again.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Give him $500 bucks if he gives you the engine mount and cables to replace the ones he ruined....I'd still be leary of what else is F'ed up.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Registered

Take someone that knows what they are doing with you to get your stuff so you know you have everything......

if you feel he is entitled to the 500 dollars then give it to him, chances are if he "lost" his shop it was for a reason and you can always use the do I have to bring the police with me

I hate when marine mechanics do stuff like this it gives all in the business a bad name because of stupid a holes like this guy

Best of luck
Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Registered

YOu are not going to like this, but maybe you will like it less than your current situation...

You are in a **** hole, you can either sit there and hope no more drops down on you (which is a foolish idea), or claw your way out and get **** ALL OVER YOU, but in a short time you can get out of the hole.

Call you local police office, ask for assistance, ask if maybe they have a police officer on staff who does some mechanical type work and when he will be on duty. When he is on duty call and ask if he can meet you at the shop and at what time.

Call the shop and explain you are coming to pick everything up, let the cop arrive first, then you show up, seeing the cop first will put you in control.

Go to the site with the police officer, a trailer, and everything you need to pick up your stuff. The be REAL NICE, explain you need to get EVERYTHING...

It will be extremely uncomfortable for everyone except the cop, but you now have on record the mechanic took $500 from you (cause you should pay him for work done), and you got your stuff.

While loading it make an inventory list of what you receive, and its condition. While there ask for things like a replacement battery cable, and if he can not produce one ask "How do you want to handle this"? if he is decent about it, let him pay you, if not give him an option "you can pay me now, or I can turn it over to the prosecuting attorney and my lawyer".

Chances are you are going to lose significantly on this, but by putting this level of attention on it very few people would try and screw you further. Also if the stuff is at his house having a cop there is going to seriously screw with his family life. If you have to go back for some reason repeat the cop part again. Again, this will **** all over his personal and family life, and under MOST situations will become so uncomfortable he will do what ever it takes to make it not re-occur.

Granted, this is a serious treatment, he will hate you forever, but who cares, from your post he appears to be a piece of **** anyway....
Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

go pick it up and give him a 500.00ck then after u got your stuff stop payment on it.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Registered

easy solution... email or give me a call me give me his number and Ill have a little chat with him and tell him what is in his best interest..... calm and civil

this guy f up some where I dont know if its because he has no clue or just got in over his head... but the long and short of it is it sounds like hes trying to black mail you for your parts...thats not right hes aready cost you several nice week ends and there isnt enough of them in the year

give me a call Ill talk to him and if hes an a hole we will know

p.s. Im a little italian guy that grew up hanging out in south philly

the power of OSO

Last edited by GOODT; 06-16-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

When I read this stuff I'm almost in disbelieve,states need to crackdown HARD on marine repair and regulate it. If I had your truck for a year at my shop in Michigan unless I had a SIGNED repair estimate detailing exactly what you agreed to pay if you showed up with johnny law wanting it they would FORCE me to give it to you then tell me to pursue my balance in civil court. Then I would pretty much regardless of any details automatically lose without a signed or approved repair order if I bothered to even pursue it.Its a hassle to some but it protects EVERYONE involved,Smitty
Old 06-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many employees does him have? I am guessing just himself. Drive down there with a case of cold beer and outline the options.
1. As above
2. If you are somewhat of a mechanic take a few days off work and jump in there with him and get it done. I expect he is very far behind and is trying to get a decent name back in business. If this does not seem feasible follow option 1.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29scarab
What is the best approach for handling this situation.

Blow engine memorial weekend of last YEAR. 3 weeks later the engine goes to builder for modification and dyno time. Here we are the same time next year and I still don't have a boat.

Engine builder completes work on engine in March or first of April of 06. Call marine mechanic and he said it would 3 weeks before he could get to me. After 3 weeks go by I start calling to see if marine mechanic is ready. HE won't return any of my phone calls. I keep calling but no return calls. I go to engine builder 2 days before memorial weekend this year and my engine is still sitting there. I ask him to call marine mechanic and he does. Marine mechanic answers phone and he talks with engine builder. From the phone conversation, he acted like he had no idea I was trying to get a hold of him. He tells the engine builder he would call me immediately and gives him my number to call. I tell the engine builder NOT to give my engine to the marine mechanic. This phone conversation was on thursday before memorial weekend. As of 06-12-06 the marine mechanic still does not call me. I call leaving a messege to box my things up and I'm coming to pick them up.

Less than 10 minutes later the marine mechanic finally calls back. Said he did not return my phone calls because he new I didn't want to hear that he still couldn't get to my boat. He also said he picked my engine up from the engine builder on this past saturday after I had told the engine builder not to give it too him! I called the engine builder and he said some how he miss understood me and when the marine mechanic showed up he thought we had worked things out and thats why he was there.

He said he had lost his shop and was working from his home. He continued by saying he had no EXCUSES!He said we could settle up and he would give me my stuff. I asked him what we were settling at? He said he had about 7 hours of his time in my engine. I asked him how he figured that? He said the time to take the engine and outdrive out of the boat and partially disassmble the engine . He also said he had to run to the engine builders shop a couple of times with his computer for the engine.

He told me if I give him 500 bucks we could call it even. Mind you I did not take the engine out myself, so how will I know he gives me everything to put it back together? Also I saw my battery cable was cut so he would not have to unbolt the cable from the starter! He also told me he cut one of the bolts on the engine mounts because the extra Whipple fuel system was in the way

I have always paid my bills with him on time and given him ample time to complete work on my boat , but I think I've been nice enough!! A year is way too long.

He is wanting 500 bucks for what he said he's done, but not including the things he's broke, its the principle of the issue. Not including me losing part of my boating season. The engine is complete except for the outside accessories and then there is the task of putting the engine back in my boat and bolting it all back in.

I was told with having a Stellings extension box ,aligning the engine would be easier than having to use an alignment tool for the outdrive? Not sure about this one.

I know I can get the engine back in the boat ,,I'm just concerned about making sure I have all the parts and the alignment right. Also having to buy another engine mount also. Then there will be the tuning for shifting it the boat in and out of gear with the Whipple on it. The engine was a stock motor with a Whipple on it before and now its a 509cid with different cam. On the dyno it idled fine , but I know I will have to adjust it once its in the boat.

Any input on handling this situation would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm hoping to beat our famous Texas boy with the CMI issue to the water!
Im definitely on your side so please dont take this wrong, but why did you wait almost a year to get on this person case? Me personally would of being asking questions after the first week.

I just re-read your post....I guess you did ask question after the first week or so. I guess I would of laid the hammer down sooner so I could get my boat back berfore spring of the next year. Good Luck, hopefully you'll be able to have a little boating time this year.

Last edited by vandeano; 06-17-2006 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Repossesing engine parts from marine mechanic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.